OC Rhys Tasting/Dinner--Oct 11th, 4PM--FINAL DETAILS posted

A thought (if the group decides to go for the split tasting) is to split the venue as well - perhaps the afternoon session with cheese, salumi, etc. at Frank’s and the evening session at a restaurant.

I can’t do day and night drinking. Just not that balla and undoubtedly I would fall asleep after the afternoon session. I’m in for the night festivities.

The two-tier approach would, in any event, force the afternoon tasting to a taste and spit for me.

Since I was asked to pick a date, I will pick the October date. Would be great to have a chance to visit with Mike.

I am there.

October, please.

Good thing you got rid of that shitty 11 Alpine Chard last weekend.

The responses seem to favor October, which also gives us lots of time out ahead of the event to plan.

As to format, we seem to have some mixed response to my idea of a split event. I understand both views on the idea so how do we format the event in order to maximize the body of work? This would be my goal. As I see it, let me further our discussion.

Option A–singlular event. Start at 5PM.

Chardonnay: 4 wines…2 years each of Alpine and 'Shoe.
Pinot Noir: 8 wines…2 each of Skyline, Swan Terrace, Alpine and 'Shoe
Syrah: 2 wines…pick a vintage and let’s do one each of Skyline and 'Shoe

Option B–split event. Start at 2PM.

Copy of Option A, but we add 2 more chardonnay and 2 syrah

We finish these around 430PM, take 90 mins to relax, then we copy the Pinots from Option A, adding 2 each of Family Farm and Home.

These are some rough ideas.

Option A.

Option A…I have a lot of Alpine (back to 06) and some 04’s I can bring. I forgot I have some shoe’s and farms back to 08.

Option A

I do have both dates open (although it looks like we are going with the October date) in case you have not gotten to 10 people yet.

Napping outside allowed in between :wink:

September 20 is good for me, October 11th is bad.

October works for us.

Cheers
Marshall

Frank, we did something like this up here a couple months ago, so just chiming in with a thought or two. Ours was a little different, in that it was several blind flights of Rhys/Burgundy. I don’t think you need to do that, there is plenty of enjoyment in just the Rhys wines (and I’ll save you the trouble by saying it ain’t easy to pick out which is Rhys and which is Burgundy in most cases). But by the time we got to the syrah flight at the end, everyone was toast, even the professional spitters.

If you’re just going to do a small flight of Syrah, I’d suggest a strange strategy: do them first. Then take a quick break, and do the Chards, which will be very cleansing. Then on to the Pinots.

2 cents, worth what you paid for it :wink:

I’d like to be in if there is room (or wait listed), either date works for me.

I love the ambition, but Option A is probably more sensible.

If you want to expand the Rhys experience, you could do them both dates, plus draw in a different mix of tasters for each date. One date is chard + syrah, the other date is pinot. Just a thought.

I can do October date.
Option A is my vote.

Either option is good for me, but the NYC Rhys group knocked out 18 bottles. In one sitting. [wow.gif]

They got public trans :wink:

but that’s NYC… a world class city…

neener

Yes, and look what happened to the TNs as the evening wore on…this is a great example of why a bottle count has some merit. [help.gif]