NYC Rookies - Northern Rhone 1/11

We are all set for Monday. We have a 14-seat round table in the back of the restaurant behind a gated partition separating it from the restaurant. Two Bordeaux glasses per person. The menu has changed a bit as I was able to add a NY Strip as a entree option.

Sounds great Tony, steak option is great addition!

Couldn’t get the 99 out in time, I’m going to bring an 05 Levet instead.

I’m going to bring 2006 Domaine du Colombier Hermitage.

I’m going to bring an 09 Levet Chavaroche. Should be cool to drink these side by side.

Hi all, unfortunately can’t make it on Monday and me and my +1 will have to back out. See you guys at the next one!

That was the bottle that turned me on to Levet.

The 2007 was mine.

If there is room for one more I’d like to join.

If there’s room for one more, I’d like to join. Let me know ITT or by PM.

Now somebody’s gotta bring a Texier.

Woke up sick, won’t be coming tonight.

Tony, thanks again for organizing, this looks like a fantastic dinner! I’m looking forward to reading your tasting notes!

Bringing a 97 or 98 Tardieu Laurent Hermitage. Leaning towards the '98.

-Dennis

I was thinking about a Condrieu in addition to a rostaing I am bringing. Flatiron has a benetiere Condrieu for 65. benetiere makes killer rotie. If everyone is interested I can swing by and pick up a bottle for group if people want to chip in.

I am bringing a 1998 Gerin Cote Rotie “Grands Places”. I may bring something else if I have time to make a run to a store.

I can chip in.

Awesome dinner, thanks again to Tony for organizing and hooking up a great meal. Thought it was a really solid, if slightly young, bunch of wines. The '04 Gaillard was my favorite for current consumption, looking up the vintage Jancis says “A welcome return to normal temperatures but this post-2003 heatwave crop was not generous and wines have developed fast.” which seems accurate from the sample size of one. '05 Levets were a nice comparison, the Chavaroche was starting to get really funky (in a good way) by the end of the night. '09s were pleasing as always, really liked both the Levet and the Juge.

Thanks for organizing another awesome night, Tony.

I’m looking forward to the next one!

Great time, conversation, company, wine, food, and I can’t get those olives out of my head! Grateful to Kristen for the bone marrow donation.

Many wonderful wines, the ones that lingered for me…the Cornas’. I appreciated the contrast of authentic fruit. The Cornas stood out to me because they were so different, and kind of jump started my palate. Thank you to everyone for being so generous with your selections and giving us all such fun compare and contrast flights. I also enjoyed how passionate folks were about Rhones and their stories. It was a fun night.

Big thanks of course to our team captain - Tony, for coordinating a great night and making sure the food played just as much of a meaningful role As the wine. No filler food for this group.

Welcome to our newest members and let’s start thinking about what’s next. I’m open but if I may, I would like to suggest a region that offers a bit more opportunity for variety either in grape varietals or wine making style (e.g same varietal but new vs old world). I love Syrah but am a little Syrah’d out after last night. I would enjoy a Southern Rhone night down the road, not next month.

Great seeing everyone.

Ellen

Thanks Tony. It was a great evening and a perfect venue.