NYC Rookies Chablis 6/6

Sounds great Tom, See you there!

So??? Any details?? :neutral_face:

A great mix of different producers and 1er Cru vineyards. Racine’s was very accommodating and the food was good though I did not care for my red snapper entree. We were seated right next to the kitchen.

There were only two standouts for me; the 2009 Fevre Vaulorent and 2012 Louis Michel Montee de Tonnere. Rich and complex with exceptional balance and drive. Both wines that simply balances the weight with structure. Both were drinking well but I can see it continuing to evolve providing an extra dimension of pleasure, especially the Fevre. I think most of us agreed on that.

The 2010 Dauvissat 1er Cru Forest was shockingly advanced and borderline pre-moxed. The 2008 Dauvissat 1er Cru Forest was nice, rich in texture with a touch of honey but I found myself wanting a little more structure and acidity. I don’t recall the 2011 Dauvisssat Le Clos but it was the last wine of the night and I might have suffered a little palate fatigue.

Also, I really like the Christian Moreau wines but I felt they were really tight and holding back a bit. The 2012 Moreau-Naudet Forêts was good but lacked intensity and focused. This wine also developed and odd band-aid smell at the end of the night.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks all for a fine evening. It was good to meet you all and share the generosity.

For me this was an unusual tasting/dinner as all the wines were quite good (save two) and the overall quality of the food and service was easily the best I’ve experienced at this kind of event.

My wotn was easily the Louis Michel Grand Cru 09 Les Clos. I found the Dauvissat-Camus 2010 La Forest off. The Vincent Dauvissat Grand Cru 2011 Le Clos did not show well. All of the rest of the wines (nine total and a champers) showed very well indeed.

A belated thanks to all for a very nice evening. I really liked the Fevre. Very clean and pure with real depth. The 12’ Christian Moreau Vaillons had a nice smokiness along with fine acidity. Most showed retrained fruit. The 10’ Dauvissat had that Ludens Honey cough drop thing going on. A bit off putting, but not terrible. Overall, an excellent showing and the food was real good. The mackeral App was the best I’ve ever had - so fresh.

Sounds like a fantastic time and the place seems to have been a hit. Hopefully we can make it back there in the future.

Hi. I’m working with Jesse to try to plan one for second half July. Possibly 18th or 25th. Will let you know once we have a place figured out. Trying to find a different place to keep it interesting. If anyone hears of possibilities on the byob front pls pass along. Maybe a new restaurant that hasn’t gotten a liquor license yet?

I’ve set up a number of successful wine dinners at North Square Restaurant on Waverly Pl. No corkage, private room, will need eleven people. If you ever decide on another white wine dinner I’ll be happy to set it up!

New thread starting for next dinner - July 18, 2016! Chinese!