NYC Restaurants for 1

Recommend Rouge Tomate @ 10 East 60th. I went there three times when I was there in June and had an excellent time - had dinner twice at the bar and some wine the last night. Walk-in all three times.

Their associate Sommelier - Veronica - was absolutely awesome with recommendations.

Not Recommended - The Modern @ MOMA

Cheers, Jay

Sanjay, sadly RT closed on August 9th due to the usual issue: rent increase. BUT, they’re moving downtown later this year/early next year, place TBA.

That said, it was a GREAT place to sit at the bar and chat with Pascaline or Veronica, and the bar menu was delicious.

Was just in NY for some quick meetings, but was able to squeeze in the following:

1. Nougatine for dinner at bar;
  2. Atera for dinner;
  3. Bouley for lunch.

Nougatine: Nice atmosphere and energy. Had the tasting menu. The standouts (for me) were the tuna tartare and the slow cooked salmon (amazingly moist with great flavor. loved the crispy skin). Brought a 2008 Scarecrow, which was a good convo bottle with the group next to me and Eric the beverage director.

Atera: Wow. Food, experience, and service were all amazing (but comes at a fairly steep price). I got the reserve wine pairing, which was highlighted by a 1989 Cos d’Estournel. Too many dishes to go into, but definitely some standouts, such as waffle with mushrooms and truffle; foie gras; caviar with pistachio gelato, and IPA cream, etc., etc. Very unique experience, down to the little bar downstairs with custom cocktails.

Bouley: Great value for their tasting menu. Sea urchin and Porcini flan were my favorites. Service was a bit slot, which matched the tone of the meal. Lower energy. People taking their time to enjoy the meal.

All in all, some very different restaurants, but all worthwhile for different reasons.

Matthew, the manager at Atera, recommended Jungsik, The Modern, Momofuku Ko, Estela, Shuko, and Shigurie for future visits.

NY is such a great food city.

Looking forward to the next visit.

Tom

When was the last time that you were at Lupa, Yaacov?
I used to like it, but my last visit was a joke; they wanted you in and out on a very fixed time frame, insistent and rude about it as well.

I’ve been a couple of times over the past two years with my family. My youngest who is (sadly) a picky eater loves their Carbonara. I never noticed anything out of the ordinary about the service.

Been to NYC 5 times in the last year. Besides Jean George and Perse. I would recommend:

• nobu 47 for sushi bar
  • modern - at moma. Great bar.
  • bernardin bar is good too.

EMP is great but far for u if u are mid town.
Estela is also great. Tried it last visit but it’s a must cab/subway.

All of those places are great, but with the exception of Estela you are talking about some of the most expensive restaurants in NYC.

These days I’d be considering:

Zadie’s Oyster Bar
The bar at Estela
The bar at Charlie Bird

Great meal’s at half the price

Good call on Zadie’s.

I just posted a quick note in the other NYC restauant thread.