NY Hotels AND NOW WITH A RESTAURANT QUESTION

You no see question too good huh? Or is that Siri just autocorrecting your answer for any restaurant suggestion? [scratch.gif]

All the above comments are accurate but limiting the choice to those two I’d go to Marea. And I say that with Maialino being one of our favorite restaurants. But Marea is one of our two “special occasion” restaurants.

However if you have time for another meal try and make it to Atoboy. IMO one of the best values for in the city currently. You can find cooking at that quality level elsewhere but not at a $36 prix fixe. And it has the added bonus that, as with Marea and Maialino, you can hear the person across from you speaking.

Thanks Michael. A trip to Katz’s and Russ and Daughters is always, always in the plan. Just before heading to Penn Station, so I can take a care package home. I have never been to Sarge’s, but might be able to slip by there too!

I’ve never been, but Yonah Schimmel knishes is right by R&D and Katz’s. You might as well go for the Hebrew trifecta.

Well, Sarge’s is a more convenient to midtown option for pastrami… it is considered top tier (tied for 2nd with Pastrami Queen on Lex and 78th). I think their soup is better than Katz’s… And you sit down, order… get served… none of the counter and ticket silliness. I was in Katz’s a few weeks ago… Still killer pastrami but I couldn’t finish the sandwich… losing my skills… made pastrami fried rice (quiet Victor) with the leftovers…

There is a branch of R&D in The Jewish Museum on 5th and 92nd, depending on yours and your companions daily route that may make sense too.

sarge’s is C+ at best. if it were in Omaha, it would likely be the 2nd best deli (I have no idea what the state of affairs is re: jewish delis in omaha, but it would be easy to create a better jewish deli anywhere. including omaha). it doesn’t belong in the same conversation as katz’s. i’m shocked to see it referenced here in any context, let alone a substitute for katz’s.

But likely only third best in Lincoln.

+1

Amazing restored hotel. Great bar and restaurant at Fowler and Wells and tight near WTC and the Occulus and other downtown sights.

Pastrami fried rice is the signature dish at a hybrid Chinese-Jewish restaurant, called the Katz Mee Yau.
I do my annual Christmas wine dinner there.

And yet lots of rubes like me go there over other Manhattan options for a fill when we can’t or can’t be bothered to get to Katz’s (where we’d have to deal with hordes of tourists (though probably not from Omaha since they are at Sarge’s))

My cabal will occasionally eat at even Panda Express.

Love Marea. Love, love Le Bernadine for lunch. Expensive but also fantastic.

JD

having dined at both Marea and Maialino I would vote for Marea and that is with no disrespect to Maialino

Another vote for lunch at Le Bernadine. I’d probably do Maialino for dinner.

I agree with Paul.

Given that your better half doesn’t eat meat, I would take her to lunch at Marea and take Paul and me for dinner at Maialino. :wink:

Seriously, I would say it depends on what you want to drink. Marea is the place for Champagne (hence Ray’s love). Maialino is the place for old Nebbiolo. The Maialino al Forno and old Barolo is simply heaven.

The other factor is your wife’s choice of food. If you really want to please her (and you’ve probably been married too long for that), I would do Le Bernardin for lunch and Marea for dinner.

A quick escape to Gotham this week punctuated by a half day of work.

Stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel, which had a decent rate. It was not a neighborhood we knew well (south of there, yes, north of there, yes, but not that specific area) and we loved it. The hotel itself was comfortable, the staff was terrific, but someone needs to tell them that total darkness in the halls etc is NOT cool. Garden is lovely.

Fantastic walking in the neighborhood. While walking around, we fell into the Teddy Roosevelt birthplace, which is highly recommended but is in a sad stage of disrepair. All the artifacts from the assassination attempt are there, but the display was a disgrace. Our National Parks are in shameful need of love and attention.

Also had fun at the Union Square Wednesday market.

Marea was very fine. The best dish I had was a soft shell, which was perfect. Not good or great but perfect. Maybe the best soft shell I have ever had. Unfortunately it was the first course I ordered so it was “downhill” from there, to dishes that were merely very good. The Lallement Rose was a little more than twice retail which, given the list, seemed pretty reasonable.

Canceled at Union Square Cafe because their gas service was out. Breakfast at Maialino was nice.

Dinner at Peking Duck House was meh, but Little Foxes was amazing. See this show before Nixon and Linney leave. Michael McKean was fantastic and John Boy was good too.

Did a lot of walking in the Village, Soho, and around Orchard Street before pastrami at Katz’ and a take home package from Russ & D.

And home.

I have no idea why this place gets talked about so often (and positively) on this board. For me, the food is barely edible. Haven’t been in years and it will stay that way.

It was walking distance from the theater, and I haven’t had peking duck in ages. Sadly, this did not scratch the itch

Agree on marea. Thought it was average and not deserving of a star let alone 2!

PDH. Weird I thought the duck was great. And I’ve had ah… my fair share of Peking duck… Different strokes I guess. :slight_smile:

Warned you.