Novice bread maker looking for help

Jay, to the bottom loaf, could you have amputated the base and saved the dome and converted that to
Pieces for homemade croutons or had the char permeated the entire loaf?

I cut off the bottom and used the rest of the bread. Slightly smoky flavor but fine.

Fixed the link.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the proper rise for popovers or this attempt at gougeres? I followed the recipe below and the flavor was great, but I just didn’t get the lift this time or any time I’ve tried something similar. This was an attempt with relatively warm dough…the batch I left in the fridge overnight was a bit better, but far from the ‘ball’ shape I was looking for.

Was the oven fully preheated? That could cause this.

Also, the base recipe I use (I make some adapations) calls for twice as much butter and a 375 degree oven. I’d go with the hotter oven and be sure it’s preheated at least 10 minutes ahead of time.

Thanks Jay…fully preheated but at 350 as you noted. I’ll give your recipe a go this weekend.

I find the batter can handle more than 4 oz of cheese and I always go with 5 eggs. I usually go with something a little stronger than Gruyere - Hoch Ybrig or even Challahocker with PR grated on top.

I skip the nutmeg and add thyme and black pepper (a nod to the wonderful Tartine gougeres).

There’s another Jay that knows a lot about making bread. He goes by the handle sourdough on the CT board. You could contact him too. I have personally tasted and thoroughly enjoyed several types of his bread.

I use the Ruhlman version from his book Ratio where he suggests
to bake in a hot oven (425 for 10 minutes, 350 for another half hour or so)

Seems to work well & I’ve never had issues like posted above.

http://ruhlman.com/2009/01/pate-a-choux/

excellent, thanks all

I found this note interesting:
“though mechanically beaten choux does puff considerably more than that stirred by hand, so this may have something to do with the puffing”

though I’ve always stirred by hand and never had an issue it might also be worth trying.

Round 2 came out much better…like Jay said, I think I’ll continue to tinker. Thanks again for the advice.

Looking good!