No Volunteers at Sting's Tuscan estate...

The last part should be “I’ll be charging you.”

Good one Ken…

From now on I’ll only be listening to the Roxanne remix by Puff Daddy.

I thought Puff Daddy’s “I’ll Be Missing You” was a lift on “Every Breath You Take”.

So is there a quota? What if you don’t pick enough, does he make you go back out there?

If I owned a wine estate in Tuscany or Burgundy, or anywhere else, I certainly wouldn’t want a flock of amateurs getting in the way of regular harvest activities. Charging a fee, particularly if the fee is sufficiently high, would undoubtedly discourage many of those offering their services. Let’s face it, most of those people offering their free services want to become engaged in the harvest just to gratify some fantasy or to brag to their friends back home.

Sting has the right idea in my opinion.

Hank [cheers.gif]

I repectfully disagree with your logic, Hank. Being able to pay a (high) fee does not make one a superior vineyard worker. Further, we already know that douchebags with helicopters also have fantasies and want to brag.

How did you know I have a helicopter?

I believe you missed my point entirely. The high fee would be intended to discourage the amateurs, who might somehow feel they are entitled to pick grapes by just showing up. It has nothing to do whether these amateurs are even capable of spending more than a few minutes actually picking. Picking grapes is not for the faint of heart or those who might not be physically up to the task; it’s hard and demanding, and the crop is actually in jeopardy under amateur hands.

If Philip showed up in his helicopter and paid the fee, I’d put him out with the vines that we didn’t choose to pick that year anyway, so he could play to his heart’s content. Your description of the helicopter owner ( ?? douchebag ?? ) suggests you might wish to expand your vocabulary. Is that what you really think of others? [wink.gif]

Some years ago I witnessed a handful of Americans in a vineyard in Burgundy at harvest time, dressed in the latest fashion track suits, cluttering up the paths of the real pickers. Trust the photos they took with their cameras turned out well for the folks at home. [swoon.gif]

Hank [cheers.gif]

I didn’t miss your point. How does paying a high fee discourage amateur grape pickers? I used the term douchebag only because I recall it appearing multiple times in the ridiculous thread to which we are referring. I intended to take no personal shots at you in my post. I am disappointed that you chose to do so in your reply.