Next Next is Up

Just got email from Next. Season ticket is up for sale.
I am pretty surprised that a lot dates are still available.

I’m not. [snort.gif]

George

Skipped the Bistro menu, but went to Tapas the other day. Thought the food was excellent and a great balance of Spanish flavors with a progressive element.

The wine program continues to be extremely poor value. The “reserve pairing” adds up to >$150 per person including tax and tip and gets you a well thought out set of wines at a terrible value. Here were the wines (with their mid point +/- retial price):

Ameztoi Txakolina 2014 ($20)
Valdespino Manzanilla Deliciosa En Rama ($15/375ml)
Gorrondona Tinto Txakolina ($27)
Do Ferreiro Albarino ($24)
Martinez Lacuesta Vermut Rojo NV ($18)
Poco do Lobo Arinto 1995 ($30)
La Rioja Alta 904 2004 ($40)

• a cocktail and horchata

Over the dinner you probably have about a bottle of wine, so based on above maybe $25-30 of wine at retail. This would be a really well done pairing at $75-80, but at the price they charge you can’t help but feel they’re trying to recoup a lot of margin through the beverage program. Power to them i guess, but it is why i dropped my season tickets and will only go infrequently to future menus.

Next up Terrior, which is supposed to be a wine focused menu and has a very high price tariff - will be interesting to see what gets served.

I know they will at least be serving Krug GC over 2-3 courses. However cost for a weekend meal for 2 is $880 all in.

George

YIKES!!!

still can’t quite justify the price of next. they also won’t accomodate my fiancee’s fish allergy. annoying.

I loved Next (although the cost is excessive and the wine program sucks). But when they also stink at accommodating my pescatarian spouse. And when they sold seasons last year with the caveat not to expect substitutions, I bailed.

Better stay away from 42grams then. [wow.gif]

From their FAQ

Can you accommodate food restrictions/allergies?
No Substitutions. 42 grams does not accommodate soy/egg/dairy/sugar/red-meat/grain/gluten free, vegan, vegetarian or pescatarian food restrictions.

George

Next Next is Up
Post by George Hejna » 53 minutes ago
Better stay away from 42grams then. > [wow.gif] >

From their FAQ

Can you accommodate food restrictions/allergies?
No Substitutions. 42 grams does not accommodate soy/egg/dairy/sugar/red-meat/grain/gluten free, vegan, vegetarian or pescatarian food restrictions.

George
Next Next is Up
Post by David K o l i n » Today, 12:50pm
Michael Klein wrote:
still can’t quite justify the price of next. they also won’t accomodate my fiancee’s fish allergy. annoying.

I loved Next (although the cost is excessive and the wine program sucks). But when they also stink at accommodating my pescatarian spouse. And when they sold seasons last year with the caveat not to expect substitutions, I bailed.

my fiancee and i were engaged at el ideas, which was not only FANTASTIC, but very willing to accommodate her fish allergy. they knew about it ahead of time too, which meant she had real dishes as substitutions, instead of just leaving out fish. doesn’t hurt that it was byob either!

I still go with clients

After telling me both in an email and upon arrival, at the host stand, that they would accommodate my partner’s preference for no fish, the waiter said “no go.” That was the last time I went to Next. At that price point, accommodate or there are plenty of other fish in the sea. (haha, sorry, couldn’t resist on that one).

From their FB page…first night and looks like multiple tables open…not a great way to start out a new menu

Help us celebrate our first night of Terroir!

Tables available for this evening:
9:00 pm - Table for 2 to 4 people @ $345/person
9:15 pm - Table for 4 people @ $345/person
9:30 pm - Table for 2 people @ $335/person

Each booking includes reserve pairings, but excludes service charges and tax.

To purchase, please visit our ticketing site (next.tocktix.com) or email > samenight@nextrestaurant.com > with contact information, including phone number.

They haven’t been selling out for a while but opening night availability is pretty surprising.

I did find the video with the artistic shots of pristine fancy work boots in the vineyard a bit amusing but I haven’t been back since Childhood and probably won’t return. I hear too many tales of how they pay and treat their kitchen crew (even given the usual dismal pay and hours of line cooks) and really have trouble supporting that.

Fancy videos are awesome. But it ultimately comes down to what is on the plate and in the glass and what you pay for that.

George