Natural or synthetic closure ?

So you think it´s more logical to use synthetic closures on rare and expensive wines (e.g. Clos de la Roche) only “hoping” they will work in the long term - instead of doing the experiment first on (let´s say) a Bourgogne rouge for 10+ years?

Well, not with me!

I´m curious what Laurent Ponsot will do if a whole vintage prooves to be untight after 5,6, 8 years?
The same as with his 1996s which are more or less undrinkable now (presumably due to not enough sulphur) - namely nothing … and the harm remains with the buyer?

Never mind expensive high-quality wine that requires long aging – I am completely against synthetic closures for inexpensive, easy-drinking, no-aging required open it right now wine. I’ve had them on a few bottles of sweet wines and they’re incredibly useless. I’d rather winemakers use screwcaps and T-stoppers than synthetics.

I didn’t say that; you’re making a convoluted argument. I do understand your concern and share it, though obviously to a lesser extent. My point wasn’t that I am sure the new closure is good, but rather that we can’t be sure it isn’t.

Does anyone know how long this closure has been in testing?

And I didn´t say that all synthetic losure is crap (there was definitely some crap), but that we don´t know the quality and effect yet.
So using it for wine that traditionally is cellared (or in need of) for a long time means to pass on the weight to the buyer.

It easily can happen similar to the Primox problem with white Burgs: maybe you´ll have to drink your Ponsot GC Burg in the first 5-8 years, otherwise many or all will be oxidized! (just an assumption)

I bet there are no experiences with THIS synthetic cork on Burgs for more than 5 years.

G.H.Mumm, joins the growing number of producers in the region moving away from natural cork.

With an estimated one in six Champagne bottles now sealed with the technical closure!

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2012/10/cork-maker-oeneo-diam-closures-success

Barry,

Read that article as well this morning. One other interesting statistic in addition to the 1 in 6 bottles of champagne that are now under technical cork - 30% of wines from Burgundy are now bottled under technical corks as estimated by the company. Note that this is an estimation, but it’s still pretty amazing that many have decided to move away from ‘natural cork’ to anything different from it - even these technical corks . . .

Interesting read on the ‘re-invention’ of a company as well. Altec was a disaster and resulted in complete vintage losses for numerous wineries that chose to go that route a decade ago - and the company has been able to recover, rebound, rebrand, and succeed . . . Interesting.

Interested what those who went through the Altec disaster have to say - not sure if any Loring wines were bottled under them but they may have been, and perhaps Behrens and Hitchcock as well?!?!?

Cheers.

Just my 2€, but give me a choice between cork and a 100% airtight technical closure, and I’ll take the modern version every time.