Napa Fire Update

Just worked a couple of rows, now that it is “cool” enough ( still hot.) I am going out to LOOK for this, at this point.

They just showed aerial video on the news in New York. Looks pretty strong and violent. Good luck guys.

From my place to the west is brilliant sunshine, looking worthy of our typical sunset. To the south, Diamond Mountain is totally clear and beautiful. To the north, up to the Palisades (most famous marker would be Eisele Vineyard), all clear. The moon is rather full and set up high to the east. But then, if you are looking it for it, nothing like a funnel, but a line of clouds captured between the lower blue sky and the upper blue sky. It is like a long thin slice - something that just looks like it would become a nice sunset in 30 minutes. That must be it. So Napa is roughly 30-40 minutes from here…strange.

Saw the smoke cloud this afternoon from the first ridge inland from Bodega Bay on Coleman Vly Rd. Biggest I’d seen it since the first day or two.
At sunset there was a thin layer of smoke just south of Santa Rosa

Bump. We keep getting news reports about horrible fires in southern Napa, but I have a trust issue with TV news. Any on the ground reports?

Not affecting us here. A couple of evenings ago, I smelled some smoke. Other than that and the increase in small aircraft overhead - I assume carrying water or some kind of flame retardent - you would not know anything was going on. Lake County is fairly far away - I have not been there in well over 10 years.

The following link has a google map of Calif with all the active, and recently active, fires:

http://www.fire.ca.gov/general/firemaps.php

Zoom into the area that interests you…it’ll show a fire icon for each fire. Click on the fire icon for more info, and a link to a details page for that fire. Note this includes all wild fires occurring in Calif (i.e. wild fires, not city fires).

The only fire I see in the Napa area is the Wragg fire, which is now 95% contained. The Clear lake fire on the other hand…

Strong smells of smoke in the Sonoma Valley this morning, coming from the Jerusalem fire. Fantastic.

Is this noticeable in the Napa side as well?

Yep. Over on the Petaluma side as well. What a season.

Weather heated up; winds shifted to off-shore.
When I think of “smokin’ hot” it’s usually not the weather than comes to mind lol

We don’t have any odor, but the air is thick and ugly. My gorgeous clear view from my place to Diamond Mountain does not exist today. Hot and gross.

Sad to see how long this thread has been active.

This air is something I have never seen. It looks like fog. It is just so hot and heavy and not moving. No odor, no ash.

Sonoma Mountain is completely obscured. Time for me to go to a movie, stay cool and stop stressing…

Very strong waves of smokey odor in St Helena today, but the wind from the bay seemed to be pushing the smoke back north starting around 3.

At what point does this actually affect the vinntage on these places? A few years ago I bought some Navarro Pinot Noir that they released under a sub-label because the fruit had been impacted by the big Lake County fire. It was drinkable but had a definite ‘smoky’ quality. Is most of the fruit already picked?

I’d guess a vast majority of fruit is still hanging in Napa, prime Cabernet Sauvignon picking is still a few weeks away.

Still smoky at the south end of Napa with only half the usual wind. Everything chrome looks gold or tan. Can barely see the hills to the southeast, 5 miles from the store.

The offshore flow if the recent heat wave has pushed the smoke in Sonoma County. Visibility sucked all day today.

Lots of talk about the smoke coming in from further north rather than the Lake Co. fire. Many people saying no smell or ash accumulation so I’m thinking no effect. Picking has really just started so almost all fruit still out there. Wind switches tomorrow so it is short lived.