Myriad Syrah

In the big picture Mike makes 70+ wines but only Myriad is his. That’s 10 wines if I count correctly. He needs to protect himself.

I don’t feel like anyone is bashing the small business model of any winery here, Myriad included. Feels more just a like spirited discussion IMO. Appreciate those who’ve stated roughly “We don’t know what there books look like”. I’m new to Myriad wines, but knowing that I have a 6 bottle min purchase gives me some pause unfortunately. Not everyone on WB is playing with deep pockets of their own or picking out of others cellars just to keep things in perspective, some of us are just trying to have a taste of something the upper crust only enjoys (I will have some whine with my french cries, yes thank you). If the producer is not trying to bury the customer with the burden of shipping costs, thanks, but I am sure they find the profit in other ways. I think the cost of business continues to go up, so as a customer I expected with some regularity that prices for quality small production wines will go up in time. As a Sonoma County resident I can do pick ups so I get to skip out on a lot of shipping charges, sorry forgot that disclaimer.

Apologies if I heaped in on the drifting, I do look forward to trying his wines someday soon. Thanks for the notes/information.

Not ranting against Myriad at all or small business. I’m a small business owner. I was simply expressing my point of view that a business (small, medium or large) should price well so that pricing is transparent and their model does not rely on spreading their margin across items not core to their business (shipping, etc). Myriad makes fine wine, it’s clear from this discussion their fans (myself included) would gladly pay a bit more in premium. A healthier bottom line for Myriad gives them air cover in leaner years.

Nick, look me up sometime. I’d be happy to pop a Myriad or two with you.

For those thinking that 6 syrahs is too many, get a couple of the Semillon instead. They are excellent, and only $25!!!

The trending theme here has been that a price increase would not alienate good customers. I believe that Mike’s customers have a great appreciation for well made wine. They’re no Kendall Jackson customers! I don’t think Myriad, Carlisle would have any problems moving 400 cases if priced at 10-15% more for bottle. We’re debating pricing optics here and I think we live in a world where consumers develop affinity towards brands that are authentic and transparent.

What if it said vintage 2011 on the label? That year didn’t quite fly off the proverbial shelf. Depends on your financial position. I love Mike’s (both Smith and Officer) wines but I can only afford so many. I’ve had to pass on the last two Carlisle offers. I guess I don’t feel as entitled as some others on this forum. Any more price increases and I just may have to become a KJ customer. So please speak for yourself when it comes to pricing comfort levels. [cheers.gif]

I’m not even much of a white wine drinker and this is true.

Mike is a talent. He is talented taster too. After tasting his lineup, we started talking Burgs (gasp!) and that was what he was buying himself that day. He knows his stuff.

You won’t meet a nicer guy either.

That said, I hope we don’t have to buy six on Dr. Crane day. Three I will do. Six at $100+ and I’m out.

So what you’re saying is Myriad’s 2011 bottles would only sell-through if bundled as six packs? Ok, by my approach let’s assume 10-15% extra margin for 2010. Don’t you think that extra flow might have helped offset downtick in 2011? If you can only afford so many, isn’t it better to pay a fair price for what you can afford vs.having only the option to take a bundle? $39 vs. $44-$45 for a well made Myriad, you don’t think that’s fair?

Uh, no I didn’t sat that at all. I was responding to your assumption that the wine could sell through despite a 15% price increase by saying an off vintage itself would have an affect on sales. Couple that with a price increase and wine sits in storage.

Ok, by my approach let’s assume 10-15% extra margin for 2010. Don’t you think that extra flow might have helped offset downtick in 2011?

If there was 15% more profit maybe that might help but I’m not sure where you are finding this 15% increase. Personally I raise prices to offset the increase in cost of goods but my margin stays consistent.

If you can only afford so many, isn’t it better to pay a fair price for what you can afford vs.having only the option to take a bundle? $39 vs. $44-$45 for a well made Myriad, you don’t think that’s fair?

Fair to whom? If the winery loses money on a 3 pack sale then the price is not fair to them. I just have to budget properly and make hard choices about whose wine I can buy at any particular time. The wineries make choices bases on their individual business needs. The are a lot of wineries who require me to spend more money than I am comfortable with based on the return I perceive from my investment. I pass on their wines.
I want more of Mike’s wines than I can afford. I guess I’ll just have to find a way to make more money or be happy with what I can afford. His job is to make money and stay liquid, not make it easy for me to purchase his product.

As wine buyers we get too used to free tastings, free pick-up parties with free flowing wine and food. Then we expect free shipping and pricing that fits our budgets and complain when we don’t get our way. Sounds kind of selfish don’t you think?

A winery should be making money on each and every bottle of wine they sell. Shipping costs should be paid by buyer so assuming the winery has COGS built in with along with a healthy profit the wine maker should be making money on each and every bottle sold. My math is based on the winemaker adding a more healthy and sustainable margin. Bottom line, I think wine makers need to know their customer inside/out. They should not try and be everything to everyone. Make a good wine, find your audience and price well (not gouge, but healthy) and then deliver great service, stay engaged and it will grow the business.

Damn Capitalists!

(You can drink at my house anyday, Phil!). [cheers.gif]

I think all of this second guessing is really missing the point. Mike is an extremely sensitive and thoughtful guy! He is smart, he makes really good wines that are at price points that make them range from affordable to a steal compared to other wineries out there. He is an incredibly accommodating person who goes out of his way to treat the people who buy wine from him with respect and decency. My wife and I visited him last year really based on all of the wonderful reviews I had seen shared on this board. The visit was remarkably simply, he was quite direct and sharing, he even gave us partial bottles to take with us for later. I am from MA and he managed to get us wine. Every time I have a question or a thought to share about his wines, my emails are answered fairly quickly and as if we have been friends for years. This is a genuine individual making terrific wines. That is exactly why I am passionate about these small wineries that are devoted to excellence. I bought six bottles. I will buy six or more bottles from every offering he sends me. Then again, it really makes almost no sense from a cost of shipping perspective for me to buy less than 6 bottles and have them shipped to MA. I routinely get nailed for $30+ for a six pack, and $50-60 for a case. And, if I was close enough to order 3 bottles at a time, I would simply go visit him twice a year and have him hang onto my orders. But, the plane or car ride is really a bummer when you are on the far coast! It isn’t difficult to figure that three bottle orders really complicate shipping and cost factors. I think three bottle shipping is more a product of tolerance for getting people in a winery tasting room to sign up for their club. But, my opinion is always influenced by the fact I have to pay a lot for shipping.

First time buying Mike’s Syrahs. I went in on a six pack (two each of the Las Madres and two of the McGah). I previously went in on the Becklyn Cab last year and was a late purchase on the Myriad Three Twins thanks to the recommendations on this board.

Thanks guys!

Sounds great Brian, we’ll definitely have to do a bottle share!

How do these waiting lists work? If you decline an offer, are you then taken off the list or will you continue to get offers forever?
Thanks

Mosts lists will reach out to you if you have not purchased in two successive offers and ask if you want to remain, especially if they have a waitlist. In the case of Myraid there is not a waitlist. You sign up and get offered wine on the second wave of the offer. If you buy you are included in the first wave of the next offer. If you want to stop getting offers from wineries just send them an email and they will remove you from the mailing list.

True words. And he’s been that way since I first met him making his first barrel of Syrah while apprenticing with Jeff Ames at Nicholson Ranch. Mike and Leah have always made time for me on any of my trips out there and are good people.

I’d be glad to order—if I could get it into Canada easily. Unfortunately, the delays and jump in cost caused by the applicable taxes really put a dent in that for me.

That said, I hope to get to a point where I can buy a bit more of the fine Myriad product. Myriad is one of about 5 lists that I stay on.

Mike

I would rather have the choice to pay the actual shipping cost for the 3-pack than have to purchase the 6-pack. Why can’t they just increase the shipping costs for the 3-pack option? I know I’m in the minority here after reading the thread about how many bottles per year you purchase, but I’m sure there are at least a few out there that are a little more focused when purchasing wine and that like to spread things out a little, like I do.

This has nothing to do with support or non-support of any winery or winery owners. I am a customer. I like options. I would prefer to continue buying their Syrah. Wouldn’t most wineries want to spread their product amongst many customers as opposed to fewer to gain recognition and increase customer base? I wonder how many folks will be purchasing the minimum 6-pack of $110+ cabs?