My latest invention!

People actually care about the screws at the top of the screw cap bottle?

John,

After reading all these posts I’d be interested in a clarification as to what The Nekker actually looks like from the top. Is it closed or open???

Here’s what’s confusing me: You say “You fit the Nekker to the opened bottle at the point of serving.” If it’s open at the top (can’t see from the picture and you haven’t really said specifically) don’t you pour with it on the bottle? Yet you also say it’s NOT a pourer.

Combining the functionality of being able to pour with covering the cap threading just might entice consumers, many of whom really do consider screw caps ‘gauche’. So which is it… open or closed at the top?

[scratch.gif]

I love this- Ask for honest opinions, get them but don’t like them, and then say that you’ve already got it all figured out and that the people responding are not the target demographic.

I’m going to market a nekker like product w/ cosmetic screw threads on it :wink:

PeterJ,

It’s open at the top; it is placed over the open bottle neck with no purpose other than to hide the thread and the residual skirt, providing a more appealing look but without in any way inhibiting the pouring. The wine doesn’t touch the Nekker.

Mr Wallace,

I’m sorry you feel my response has been anything other than good natured and appreciative of the feedback. Yes, I’ve clarified points but the failure of the responders to grasp the point in the first place is entirely my fault, not theirs. I’m unaware that I’ve indicated that I don’t like the responses - I love the debate.

I would think restaurants might be a bigger market than individuals. Do waiters at restaurants hear complaints about screwcaps?

people honestly do. I gave my friend a nice bottle (under screw cap) and he thought i gave him $10 swill. People not into wine have a very odd fascination with cork and perceive all screw caps as cheap

John,

Stick with it, there is a market. Look at different ways to incorporate a pourer. Think about everybody’s comments pro and con and how you can address them. They will be big sellers in those states that over control wine sales and within the group that shop in the “general” price range that features screw caps. I also think it would look good on the screw cap versions, particularly Plumpjack. Patent the item. There are several companies that will buy up your patent if you don’t want to pursue the full manufacture and distribution.

Rule number 1: If you thought it was needed and went to the effort to make it, there are obviously a quarter to one third of the population that will agree and want one. To this day, I wish I had thought of the pet rock.

Rule number 2: If it has one use, how many other uses can it have?

Rule number 3: If you can sell a million in the color black, you can sell ten million in 9 more colors. (Ask Henry Ford).

Rule number 4: Offer personalized logos with a $75 set up fee and minimum order of 500. If they are cheap enough overall, they are a way to advertise = write off. Haley’s Corker offers this and there are wineries and retailers who jumped on it.

Go get em!

Randy,

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the advice!

The worldwide patent has been applied for in all its’s various embodiments so that I’m able to discuss the Nekker openly.

Rick,

Apparantely the screw cap is a perceived problem in restaurants because of the lack of ceremony and the appearance of the bottle. I read some time ago that a restaurant chain had developed a procedure for opening screw caps at the table that was specifically designed to disguise the screw cap as much as possible. So, yes I think all fine restaurants should carry Nekkers in sterling silver with the restaurants crest engraved on them!

I think there’s an even wider market for an item like this. What if a guy has been circumcised, but is with a partner who prefers the foreskin look?

Ken,

Brilliant!

John,

I’m assuming that the only reason your product isn’t called a ‘pourer’ already is that wine can drip back into the area around the bottle opening? That may or may not be the case or even a major detriment. If the wine can be poured with the Nekker in place… is IS a pourer and that should really be a major marketing point… in my opinion, of course. If the drip-back is a problem, that should be easily modified, though I could understand your not wanting to compromise the patent or spend lots of money on new molds unless you agree or get that same feedback in the market.

By the way… this may be an old line, but I can’t wait to see the first restaurant that announces a “screwage” charge for opening screwcap bottles you bring in. Many might argue that lots of restaurants already have a screwage charge… the bill.

[cheers.gif]

While I’m not enthusiastic about the concept, I would like to applaud you for your demeanor here in the face of rampant criticism. And I do wish you the best of luck with your product.

This might clarify things a bit; sorry for the bad photo quality:

As you can see, the wine is poured from the bottle, the Nekker doesn’t interfere with this process. The Nekker disguises the fact that this is a screw cap bottle.

Richard,

Thank you.

Did not know this was a problem that needed to be solved!!

I always thought folks were talking about unscrewing a screw cap versus the pulling of a cork when they perceived a loss in ambiance, but best of luck on your invention.

Now that I’ve seen the photo, I’d like to retract my earlier suggestion that this product is a screw cap condom. It’s clearly some sort of cork merkin. My mistake.

I can see this device raising more questions than problems it solves. First, it calls attention to the bottle, causing people to inquire what it is, and then to inquire as to why you’re using it. To disguise the nature of bottle, you say? “Why do that?” “Oh, it’s a cheap looking screwcap? Well is it cheap wine?” Naturally you’ll say no, it isn’t cheap, but then the question of wine cost is out there, and you’ve reinforced the notion that screwcapped wines are crappy while at the same time pouring one for your guests, friends, and family. Quite awkward.

I dunno, to me, the whole thing seems like an unnecessary, potentially embarrassing opportunity, and one I’d rather avoid…which of course says nothing about it’s salability, however. Although I never bought a pet rock, I’m sure they were profitably sold.

Personally, I’d rather take a guests’ raised eyebrow as an opportunity to talk about wine quality, the state of the modern wine market, the advantages of the screwcap, and to distinguish myself as a knowledgeable-- and perhaps daring-- wine consumer and host. But that’s just me (Apple user).

Now, if as previously suggested, this device were a drip-stop pourer as well, one could find a legitimate reason to use one, while disguising the embarrassing fact they’re just not wine savvy (PC user).
[stirthepothal.gif]

John,

While many here may not see the purpose in your invention, there are always sceptics. As a retailer that carries wine chotskies I can tell you there are people that will buy it for the mere fact they are different. Women will love it, it’s kind of like having the first new toy on the block that no one else has, or they’ll buy for the hard to shop for wine lover. There are plenty of times I shake my head when someone buys certain wine accessories, there is no method to their madness anymore than there is with the crazed wine collector, as long as the consumer thinks there is a need, then it is useful. I remember all the B.S. .over the vinturi when it was first released, Hmmm! that was then this in now, can’t keep 'em on the shelf.
Don’t let anyone’s opinion sway your passion .

Well, this has been an interesting and informative exercise.

A big ‘Thank You’ to everone who has participated so far. I really appreciate the insights and criticism, the ideas and suggestions. I’ll try to learn from them all, although I think Ken’s ‘Pekker Nekker’ might be an idea too far!!