My first CDP

Had another bottle of the 07 Charvin CdR last two nights, with goat rib chops. It’s doing great at age 10. Has not faded like some negociant wines.

Chante Cigale is a great value for CdP in my experience. K&L usually has it. Just had the 2013 the other night, my note from CT below:

“Clear, deep-ruby color. Primary/secondary aromas, medium intensity- notes of black cherry, river stone & sandstone, cracked peppercorn, dried lavender, smoked paprika. Rich red currant and cherry fruit on the palate, open and pure. Showing mineral notes and savory spice in its depth, consistent with the nose. Medium-bodied, rich density in the middle. Medium acid, broad-grained chalky tannins with decent polish. Medium-plus length on the finish. Loving the purity and lightness of the 2013 CdP’s. Excellent producer/bottling for quality to value, and for early drinking.”

How much is Bois de Boursan in the US?
(great traditional producer, the 12s are great, the 14s are vg for the vintage)

I recommend this as well.

I concur. This is quite a serious wine – better than many CdPs.

+3

And, since you say you like a more modern style, look for the Domaine de la Mordoree Lirac Cuvee La Reine des Bois as well.

I think that many of the recommendations for non-CdP wines are a good idea.

The Domaine de Soumade wines are rich and full of dense fruit elements. The price of the Rasteau bottling available here in the US is ~$25/BTL. As a matter of fact, many Rasteau red wines are probably going to be up your alley.

Gigondas would have been my suggestion as well.

Bois de Boursan generally sells for about $40 in the US. I never saw the 13 offered here and have not seen the14, though they may show up on Winesearcher.

Jean-Paul Versino produced very little 2013 and 2014, sold off most to negociants to elevate quality. Maybe not shipped to the US … (?)
$40 in the US throws a light on the margins … I know how much it is off domaine (incl. taxes).

I buy at the domaine as well. The markup on Versino is unusual. Most are 1.5 to 2X. But these things all depend on the importer. The markups on chateau des tours cdr approach 4x and there vacqueyras 3x.

Sorry for all who have to buy retail …
[crazy2.gif] [cray.gif]

La Soumade Rasteaus are a very good candidate. It certainly is the cleanest winery I have ever visited. Also if you like modern and clean, what about the lower end wines from Tardieu Laurent?

Beaucastel = one of my epiphany wine moments. I was blown away.

Clos Saint Jean is a very good lower price CdP

You might enjoy the Spanish version of Grenache, called Garnacha.

The Australian winemaker, Chris Ringland, now has several pure Garnacha labels coming out of Spain.

The wines of his “Alto Moncayo” initiative [Veraton ~$25, Moncayo ~$40, Aquilon ~$150] are available at a number of different stores in California:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/alto+moncayo/1/usa-caa

Many stores just carry the basic “Veraton” label, but e.g. Woodland Hills carries all three labels.

And Ringland has another initiative, known as “Southern Gothic”, where he makes a pure Garnacha, called “Poor Thing”, which I believe is aged in Pappy Van Winkle bourbon barrels.

Within California, it looks like Hi Time carries that one:

https://www.hitimewine.net/grateful-palate-2014-poor-thing-grenache-377100