Moving to LA -- fill me in!

Why Lousy to visit?? Is there nothing to see there, or is everything vapid and suburban?

Welcome to town, Sean! In addition to the shops that everyone’s mentioned here, I’ll add that if you’re willing to drive a half-hour, there are several additional great shops, including Woodland Hills Wine Co, Wine Exchange (in Orange), and K&L (Hollywood). All have a wonderful, eclectic, and voluminous selection of wines.

Shoot me an email when you get in town, I probably live a stone’s throw from you.

Best,
Ken

Hey Ken; Nice to see you here as well! [highfive.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I think the generalization is that because everything’s so spread out, you can’t really “see” L.A. in a short period of time. Frankly, the best way to visit L.A. as a tourist is to have friends here and spend time with them, getting into the rhythm of the city–wherever they happen to be. Lots of great ethnic food, cool, out of the way cultural stuff like museums, plays, galleries, clubs, amazing natural beauty, and nothing more than 45 minutes away. The problem is that when you’re a tourist here, EVERYTHING seems like it’s 45 minutes away…

We have plenty that’s vapid and suburban, but then so does every other city. Seek here and ye shall find.

+1.

The only problem with LA Fine Arts & Wine is that it is closed on Sundays. Since I have a weekday job, that makes it hard to get in there 50% of my available “wine shuffling days” since they also aren’t open late.

I prefer the Ideal 55 lockers in the Marina or Playa del Rey. A little farther, but 24/7 access. Check it out here: http://www.ideal55.com/locations.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To follow-up on this, based on Jordan’s recommendation as well as a couple of others, and with the location being most convenient for me, I’m going to be storing my wine at Ideal 55. Western Carriers will be transporting it down for me from Seattle.

We’re moving in just a few weeks. Lots to do, but we’re very excited!

What do you like to drink Sean!

Honestly, I’m pretty scattered – I like almost everything (within reason) when I’m in the right mood. I’m not super familiar with California producers outside of the biggies (Ridge, Shafer, etc.).

A couple of my perennial favorites are rieslings (both Washington and Germany) and Rhone reds (and Rhone-style wines from WA), but a lot of the joy I get is trying new stuff and broadening my horizons. I’ve only been into wine for a few years, so I still have a ton to learn :slight_smile:

Good luck with the move, happy to have you in LA.

Sean,

You’re just a hop, skip and a jump away from the best that Cali Rhones have to offer - Santa Barbara County! Drop me a line when you’re ready to come on up - and you might want to consider mid April, when we hold our Vintner’s Festival . . .

Cheers!

Sounds like fun to me! I look forward to it.

Mr. Schaffer, throwin’ down the gauntlet!!

Who . . . me??? [stirthepothal.gif]

Cheers!