Moving a wine cellar

I humped close to 200 cases from a basement in DC to storage in NY in a rented panel van. I used file storage boxes (which neatly hold 15 bottles each, are cheaper, have handles, and stack well, but you do have glass on glass). Zero breakage, one sore back. (My wife helped, but the part after it got miserable was on me.) You can do 400 in your sleep.

Last night I loaded 16 cases into my Passat and moved them over to the locker. Just a few remaining cases and I’m done. I will likely do that tomorrow when I have some spare time. Too busy today.

Well, I’m all done.

It took a few trips but everything went smoothly.

I put a letter on the top left corner of each side of every box so I could organize them as bins on cellartracker. I should have also put a letter on the top and bottom of each box because some boxes will be laid on their sides because of space constraints, etc. I’ll do that when I have some time to organize further.

Also, I need to find a better layout in here to make room for new purchases. It’s already really tight and I’d like for most bottles to lay on their side (even though I’m not positive that will make any difference at all).

Anyhow, here are a couple pictures…

Does anyone here have experience with wine shipping companies? I need to move a small cellar from LA to nothern CA and prefer not to do it on my ownr.