Modern style Bordeaux

Chateau Hanteillan can be a nice, modern styled Cru Bourgeois. Not sure of the blend, but I think it’s just Cab Sauv and Merlot.

Totally agree. Would be seriously impressed if you could decipher 0%, 10%, 20% Cab Franc inclusion blind.

Wouldn’t a lot of stephane derenoncourt wines fit the bill?

I was served a 100% cab franc from WA blind the other day… and it tasted like chocolate cover cherries hit soaked in vanilla and alcohol, and not in a great way. I guessed it was a Malbec! [snort.gif]

Do tell! What was the WA Franc?

Like Alfert said, they drown out the Franc

Cab Franc is one of my favorite grapes, and I had no clue any was in this bottle…sad

wife loved it though!!

All of them!

Haha that’s what I thought. Enjoyable cheap weeknight bottles every once in a while.

Can you list a few?

I have been shopping around for some of the suggested wines. So far I have been able to acquire a 2010 Barde Haut. As I am on call this weekend, it will have to wait until Monday evening.

I don’t know if it’s a complete list, but Jancis lists a fair number of them:

Jeff -

From that list, try the Domaine de Chevalier. It’s the only wine he touches that I buy. It is mostly Cab/Merlot with 5% petite verdot.

Unless you like uber-ripe modern, I would avoid his St. Emilions.

Smith Haut Lafite may be a nice wine for you to try as well. It’s too modern for me, but nothing like his St Ems. It is 60/40 Cab/Merlot in some years, but can have minimal amounts of Cab Franc and/or petite verdot in the blend in other years. You will not notice it.

local shop had a handful of 2010 Barde Haut on sale $25…I grabbed one bottle…popped it, never returned for the others.
Just not a style I look for.