Mike on Tour--Philly, November 14

Mike, what do you like to drink?

They realized what lousy wines I bring champagne.gif

I saw on another thread Mike is not a Grenache fan. I guess I’ll leave the mag of 07 CdP at home. :wink: I’m not sure what I am bringing but maybe a Chablis and a red of some sort.

Mike admitted to me that he likes Ch. Rayas, so he does in fact like Grenache. You just have to find Grenache that tastes like Grenache.

it was a moment of weakness. :slight_smile:

Kevin…

Always good to look back, you know. I did and do reaffirm that CdP with significant age on it may get into my wheelhouse. Even more interesting to see how much I liked the 1990 Rieussec at this tasting where it was middling fair only in Boston last week.

I have to figure out a wine, don’t I? Well, it may be a 1999 Brunello. It may be a 1991 Vina Tondonia white that I just picked up in NYC. It could be something I pick up in DC.

Chablis will always work for me :slight_smile:

LOL, I remember the dinner, and you being late Mike, but I can’t for the life of me remember any of those wines.

Assuming you’ll appreciate a Cab Franc, I’ll bring:

1976 Couly-Dutheil Chinon La Baronnie Madeleine

and just to mix things up, something weird, wonderful, and fun:

2011 Va La Vineyards La Prima Donna

(don’t laugh, but this is a filtered field-blend orange wine–tocai, malvasia bianca, viognier, pinot grigio, and petit manseng–that was extolled in the pages of WA by no less than David Schildknecht, and is, as far as I’m concerned, the best wine produced in PA)

I won’t object (though Bob Hudak in Pittsburgh will—or would have—dispute/disputed that Chaddsford Farms makes the best Penna wine.) I’ll be glad to try it, may have some leftovers from lunch in addition to whatever I end up choosing to bring. The 76 Couly-Dutheuil would be awesome to try!

Even though it is right around the corner, I haven’t been to Chaddsford Winery in many years. Is the quality still as high since the Millers are less involved/not involved?

I haven’t had the La Prima Donna in a while. It was my favorite Va La wine before they made it in an orange wine style. It will be fun to try again. I’ve also never had a Chinon with that much age on it. Looking forward to it!

Here are my two:
2007 La Vinya del Vuit Priorat El "8"2004
Paul Clouet Champagne Brut Grand Cru

I didn’t see any bubbles - so I’ll bring some.

OK, I should have plenty of leftovers from lunch, and I also have purchased way too much on this trip, so I’ll open one of those jewels, a 2010 Roumier Bourgogne.

Mike thanks for visiting! I thought that was an excellent meal, one of the best I’ve had at Will Byob (and the wines and friends were pretty good too!).

Although I wish we had done a full tasting menu. To me, 4 courses just isn’t enough to enjoy all those wines, and I think I may even have missed a couple. LOL, and I think the rest of you only had 3 courses.

I’ve posted some photos on Facebook: Facebook

Next time, stay for a few days. You could easily spend 3 days just grazing on East Passyunk Ave. Philly has really become a remarkable restaurant town (not to mention having a BYOB on every corner).

So I gather, Kevin. Thanks again for coming. Posting notes very shortly :slight_smile:

edited—notes here:

Mike