Microwave oven vs...

Bringing this thread back to life as it seems to be the most appropriate place.

Got a new KitchenAid microwave with convection. Many automatic features. Hit roast, scroll through the menu, choose chicken, enter weight. I’ll admit I was dubious. 3 LBer cooked flawlessly, crispy skin, etc in 48 minutes. 5 LBer was cooked well, but not perfect in an 1 hour, 10 minutes. No need to preheat. Going to experiment with manual mode.

Won’t use it all the time, but a time and energy saver, especially when you factor in the preheat time in a traditional oven.

I cook in batches, and freeze meal-sized portions, to avoid repeat meals.

I later will defrost a portion, and reheat in a microwave for serving.

Microwave ovens do not cause cancer; ignorance does.

With or without grain alcohol?

Call me an ignorant caveman if you want but I do not have a microwave nor will I use one. My life hasn’t seemed to be missing anything by not having one. I also don’t need Amazon Prime and packages delivered within hours. I found out recently that the office dept near my desk had a microwave oven that remained on after the door was opened- that can’t be safe.

You totally lost me at Amazon Prime; I’m addicted to anything in the world ending up at my door in 48 hours.

We haven’t had a microwave for years and I haven’t missed it. Replacement was a Breville toaster/convection oven, which handles most of the workload. Boiling water, melting butter, etc. is an easy exercise with a small pot. The funny thing is that I’m not morally opposed to the idea; I just don’t want to sacrifice the counter space for it.