MARC LAZAR OF DOMAINE WINE STORAGE AND CELLAR ADVISORS CHARGED WITH TWO FELONY COUNTS

Scott:

That’s a great question. The answer I suspect is the combination of wealth, family influeence, and a really good criminal attorney.

Statutory rape and statutory sodomy in the 1st degree of a 13 year old girl by an an adult is treated as a Class B felony for sentencing purposes, with a penalty of 5 to 15 years for each crime. The sentence imposed was 10 years on each count, to be served concurrently, but the sentence was suspended by the sentencing judge and Marc was confined for only 120 days. His sentence included 5 years of formal supervised probation. That probation period officially began on March 9, 2005 and it was terminated 11 months early on April 27, 2009. Since Marc is a registered sex offender, he is supposed to report interstate and foreign travel in advance. It is unclear whether or not he does that.

The problem is that in DC, Domaine seems to be one of only two options, and the other one is open for extremely limited hours. At least in NY there are options.

Limited hours is better than not accessing it at all, right? Just saying.

My point is not that a brokered policy is questionable, but that an unlicensed broker can leave a consumer naked of enforceable coverage.

I reached out to Michael Mahle at Domaine, as I also store at the NJ facility, and he responded quickly despite being on vacation today. He unequivocally stated that there is nothing to worry about, and they will not be going out of business or jeopardizing the wines in any way. It is, of course, up to you what you choose to do, but Michael is a great guy and I am sure he’d be happy to talk to you and answer any questions.

True. Frustrating though - I just moved my cellar into Domaine DC a couple weeks back. pileon

And Premier Cru employees for years said all was well.

Folks, I hate to say this but let’s us use a little common sense. That employee really has no more insight into the investigation and what may happen than us. Marc is being investigated by state and federal authorities, for a variety of felony charges. Let’s face it, high likelihood he will be convicted and it will probably be the end of his wine business career.

Are you willing to risk your wines?

So…I can’t buy this Gentaz on CC???

Domaine Wine Storage
POST A REPLYSUBSCRIBE1 POST • PAGE 1 OF 1
Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:37 pm
Sine Qua Non, Gentaz, Rayas and an impressive list of large formats!

We are pleased to offer a great collection of large formats, older Sine Qua Non releases and some extremely rare Rhones – just in time for the holidays. The Sine Qua Non was entirely purchased from the mailing list and delivered directly to our clients. SQN is indispensable, particularly for those collectors who love Rhone-style wines, and you’ll find many rarely-seen older vintages.

The very well-priced large formats come from three different consignors, and almost all are ready to enjoy immediately. There is something for everyone here, including benchmark champagne vintages, (that always show best en magnum,) as well as classic Barolos from Bartolo Mascarello.

You’ll find a very small selection of wines from the Rhone Valley. Rayas and Gentaz are always included when referencing the greatest wines in the world – two old school producers with cult followings. Gentaz is arguably one of the most difficult in the world to acquire, and both of our bottles were purchased then left in dark cellars for many years. The 1985 Gentaz Cote Rotie still has a beautiful color and spinning capsule!

VITNAGE WINE QTY PRICE SCORE LINK
SINE QUA NON
1997 Sine Qua Non Impostor McCoy 2 $665 WA 96 Buy
2002 Sine Qua Non Syrah Just For the Love of It 6 $775 WA 100 Buy
2004 Sine Qua Non Syrah Ode to E 3 $725 WA 99 Buy
2005 Sine Qua Non Grenache The Naked Truth 4 $725 WA 97 Buy
2007 Sine Qua Non Grenache Dangerous Birds 3 $630 WA 99 Buy
2007 Sine Qua Non Syrah Dangerous Birds 6 $645 WA 98 Buy
2010 Sine Qua Non Grenache Stockholm Syndrome Eleven Confessions Vineyard 11 $725 WA 100 Buy
2010 Sine Qua Non Syrah Stockholm Syndrome Eleven Confessions Vineyard 8 $750 WA 100 Buy
LARGE FORMATS
2005 Château Lafite Rothschild 6.0L 1 $7,000 WA 95 Buy
1998 Château Mouton Rothschild 6.0L (Minor Bin Soiled Label) 1 $6,250 WA 96 Buy
2002 Sine Qua Non Syrah Heart Chorea 1.5L 1 $5,500 WA 99 Buy
2012 Sine Qua Non Petite Sirah The Writing On The Wall 1.5L OWC Book Set 1 $4,260 WA 97-100 Buy
1973 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon 1.5L 1 $1,799 JG 93 Buy
1976 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut 1.5L 1 $2,599 AG 94 Buy
1981 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut Collection 1.5L 12 $1,599 WA 93 Buy
1985 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut Collection 1.5L 6 $1,699 WA 94 Buy
1998 Krug Champagne Clos du Mesnil 1.5L 3 $1,899 AG 97 Buy
1976 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut 1.5L 1 $4,899 Buy
2001 Armand Rousseau Chambertin 1.5L 1 $3,900 JG 96 Buy
2005 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Bonnes Mares 1.5L 1 $4,100 BH 96 Buy
1983 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo 1.5L 1 $925 Buy
1985 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo 1.5L 2 $1,225 JG 95 Buy
2001 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Riserva Granbussia 3.0L OWC 1 $875 WA 94 Buy
1982 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Monfortino 1.5L 1 $3,800 WA 97 Buy
2010 Tenuta San Guido Bolgheri Sassicaia Sassicaia 3.0L OWC 1 $825 AG 96 Buy
1995 Domaine Robert Arnoux / Arnoux-Lachaux Romanée St. Vivant 1.5L 1 $800 ST 95 Buy
RHONE
1985 Gentaz-Dervieux Côte-Rôtie Cuvée Réservée Côte Brune 1 $1,750 JG 97 Buy
1991 Gentaz-Dervieux Côte-Rôtie Cuvée Réservée Côte Brune 1 $1,900 JG 97 Buy
1989 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve 3 $1,100 WA 98 Buy
1998 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve 2 $345 RJ 94 Buy

Please email your order to Market@DomaineStorage.com.

We can ship to all states except: AL, AR, DE, IL, KY, ME, MS, NH, ND, OK, PA, UT, VT.

Without seeing the policy I don’t know. But my guess is that the broker named on the policy is TDC and the policy should be fine.

+1

Thanks, Don. Have inquired to see if someone can pick up the wine for me. Waiting to hear back…

Andy - I said nothing about my opinion or judgement of what was communicated to me, nor what I planned to do. Ben asked if anyone had been in contact, and I had. I relayed the substance of that conversation. The only opinion that I offered was that Michael is a great guy, which he is.

Wow. Some kind of record re how quickly my post got deleted. My friend is impressed!

Sarah
No harm no foul. It was just that your post reads like many old PC commnets, especially the last line about he’s a great guy, call him, etc. It has the tone of support and belief that all will be well. Thank you for clarifying it is not.

I was going to say, the thread seem to get shorter all of a sudden. What got deleted and why.

only one post got deleted. Maureen made a political comment. While factually true, it’s for the politics forum.

Maureen’s post got deleted because it was political and that’s not allowed here, as I understand it.

As to my comments about Michael and talking to him, I do support him personally, apart from any connection to this business, because I know him and have evaluated his character myself. I do believe he will be happy to talk to anyone who reaches out. I think that’s a very good first step in determining how to react to this situation. We learn from debacles like PC and hopefully don’t make the same mistakes twice. That doesn’t mean we should assume that every situation is the same. I choose to gather information from a number of sources before I make decisions about important things, including from places like this board, and the people actually involved.

Sarah- great comments!

So he’ll serve less than 120 days for this I Imagine …

FWIW - here’s how Domaine DC responded to my inquiry today. By no means definitive - just another data point.

inbound week of 11/11/16
John Portillo <john@domainestorage.com> Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 6:04 PM
To: Max Kelly <>
Cc: Amelia Harvey <amelia@domainestorage.com>
Max,

Your wine is safe. Domaine is not going to be going out of business. The Domaine St. Louis office has been accused of selling wine at retail without a Missouri license, and this has no impact on our storage business or our DC Wine Market. We are sorry if this has caused alarm or confusion, and we are working to swiftly resolve this issue. If you would like to speak with Marc, you are welcome to contact him; email is best for today. We have absolutely nothing to hide. Thank you for your understanding.

John Portillo

Warehouse Manager

Domaine Storage Washington DC

4221 Connecticut Avenue NW, Rear Access​

Washington DC, 20008

202.808.0858 x 1401 Office

Not sure what’s in your cellar? Feeling disorganized? Let us organize it for you with CellarTracker. Email me to learn more.

Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 5:56 PM
To: John Portillo
Subject: Re: inbound week of 11/11/16

Thanks, John. This can go into storage for now.

I just heard about the arrest of Marc Lazar and Domaine’s legal problems in St. Louis. You can imagine how this raises some concerns.

How, if at all, is this going to affect the DC branch? Is there a risk of government seizure of the premises? Are my wines at risk?

I imagine you’re getting these questions from many customers, but would appreciate a reply ASAP.

Thanks,

Max