Mama's Pecan Pie

Hence, in post #1: “I apologize in advance for putting the corn syrup producers out of business.”

I have a question for you robert (or I suppose any experienced cooks).

I had a sugar crust (crust is the best word I can come up with ) form at the surface of the pie when I baked it. I actually flaked off in solid pieces (not huge but as big as a fork in some spots). Why did the sugar solidify to to speak on the top, but the inside was perfect?

Thanks in advance; the chief pie maker was looking for something new this year and luckily I remembered this. And I figured the rest of you would benefit from the reminder.

1 Like

Maybe someone can answer Mark’s question from last year. Sugar did not dissolve or oven might run hot?

I find odd things happening baking wise all the time. I thinks the altitude here. About 4700 feet.

1 Like

So I just had my wife make a modified Kosher version of the pie. Since our Turkey based meal is Kosher meat, we cannot use any dairy. So we tried a version of the pie with a shortening crust and then substituted a pareve margarine for butter and a soymilk for milk. I haven’t tasted it yet, but the pie is GORGEOUS and has filled the house with an amazing smell. I am really looking forward to it! (And yeah, it would be better to bake the pie the day of, but beggars can’t be choosers.)

Sounds good, Eric!

Mark, it is amazing what affect altitude has on baking. I am a true rookie when it comes to that activity.

Note that the oven needs to be on a very low heat to toast for 20 minutes without burning the pecans.
If you want to speed things along, toast for 10 minutes in the preheated 350 degree oven.

The piemaker’s interpretation of Mama’s recipe, perhaps (in her view) a trifle over cooked but delicious and much more successful than a previous corn syrup version that never set properly.

To the Pecans…
Raw?
Roasted?
Roasted and salted?

Lightly roasted and unsalted in my case.

making this in 5,4,3,2…

Made it this afternoon with a couple of minor modifications. Results to follow in a couple of hours. Of course lots of dissension with this not being my mom’s pecan pie, which everyone raves over. Even carried one out to LA to the Wine Box where we (Stuart Yaniger and Howard Camhi) polished off the pie with Gewurztraminer.

My whole family really enjoyed the pie. But, a little goes a long way!

That’s just cause you’re a Yankee. Good Southern Baptist can down half a pie at one sitting. Gotta replace that dancing and booze with something.

Thanks, Robert. My favorite recipe is in John Thorne’s simple cooking: like yours, no corn syrup, but a bit of dark rum and unrefined cane sugar (optional). Irresistible. Will try the apply sauce cake soon, but maybe without raisins.

Don’t like raisins? Dried cherries are a great substitute.

Mama’s Apple Sauce Cake: Mama's Apple Sauce Cake - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers

1 Like

It’s more my son; but so happens we have some cherries from TG. Thanks.

My wife is going to her book club holiday party (I get to go to a wine dinner!)
I made mini Mama’s Pecan Pies in muffin tins using the CI vodka pie crust

Mel,
Cute idea but I’ve seen this done on Facebook already. neener