Madeira In SF/Silicon Valley - 3/22 UPDATE!! W-O-W!

I understand, but for me $115-140 is pretty high for a three wine tasting no matter what it is.

I don’t price 'em, I simply buy them…here and there.

I would love to hear back from the others, as it is rather quiet out there. If those on the list feel the same way as Craig does regarding the reality of Madeira prices, please let me know ASAP.

Even if you want an all-Madeira tasting, there is not just one way to do it. Take ten people and have them bring a wine in a lower range, like the RWC Historic Series or Broadbent’s wines in the same range, then buy one old bottle and split the cost. That would be a much more interesting and economical tasting for people who haven’t had many of the wines. In that case I would spend $120 but I’d be able to taste a lot of different styles.

I’m interested. I have no Madeira, but I’d be up for sourcing some or chipping in.

I’m with Craig on this.
I just started a new job, so money is kind of tight for me right now. When I first signed up for this, I did not realize it was going to potentially be over $100.

I think having more bottles of Madeira that are less expensive might be more useful for me. I’m such a neophyte to Madeira that I don’t know the different styles yet. (I’ve had 4 Madeiras in my whole life.) It would be fantastically useful to have all the RWC Historic series wines side by side to compare, and each of them are only $50. We could get one or two older bottles as well, maybe from the 70s that are $150 as you suggested. While it would certainly be cool to try something from the early 1900s, I don’t necessarily think that I have the experience to fully appreciate it yet, and it’s certainly not something I would need to have to make this an attractive tasting for me. If we were going to get a super-expensive older bottle, I agree that having more people to keep the costs down would be helpful.

Of course, I understand that the oldest, most expensive bottle is probably what excites you the most, given your interest in Madeira, and removing that may remove a large potion of your interest. (I imagine you’ve already tasted through the RWC Historic series madeira…) I don’t have a good solution to propose.

I signed up and would attend mainly to taste again with Eric who I’ve been to a few of Carrie’s offlines and to meet some folks who wanted to try some Madiera/have experience with the wines.

to the question from Barry:
I’d like a good representative sampling, good but doesn’t have to be exotic, mind-blowingly great, rare or expensive. Also I would be happy to subsidize or help offset costs so everyone who wanted to taste , hang-out, talk etc…, can come,

net, net… I hope it doesn’t unravel, I’ll show up, can bring/source stuff or taste what is offered, or pay what is suggested. If you have others who want to come I can also give up my slot.

I can supply a couple or three bottles of older bottles so cost shouldn’t be too much a concern. Maybe three or four other bottles of something along the lines of the RWC historic series would round things out. These shouldn’t be very expensive. I’d really like people to experience some nice Madeira. The quality really shines, even for those not experienced with them.

I’m for quality and spending more time with fewer wines over quantity, but I’m open. My vote would be to take direction from Barry since he seems to know the most. I’d be happy to let Barry design a representative educational sampling. I do like to know the possibilities on the upside. I trust Barry to get us the best bang for the bucks. I like the idea of concentrating our money on the wine rather than dinner. Pot luck could be fun. Be curious to hear what pairs best with Madeira. I’ve only had it as dessert by itself.

Also want to thank Eric for his generous offer! Between Eric’s offer and Barry’s selections, for which I’m happy to chip in, it sounds like we should be able to have a very cool tasting.

Eric Ifune is the REAL Madeira Man (no relation to the Marlboro Man…)

Here’s a suggestion: how about Barry and Eric pool your talent and wine, see what you think we need to round out the picture, come up with the price of admission and see how many still want to participate. If we split the cost among the rest of us pot luck the food and don’t spend on restaurant, I’m thinking it shouldn’t be too prohibitive compared to the usual restaurant get together.

I’ve been in communication with Eric!! He was looking to provide 4 Madeiras: a Sercial, Verdelho, Bual, and Malvasia; two on the relatively ‘old’ side and two ‘more recent’ but still ‘vintage’. In addition, there will be 4 Rare Wine Company Madeiras, one of each variety, as well. It should be a fantastic educational experience! More news to follow!

WOW! Dr. Eric Ifune is DONATING the vintage Madeiras (worth literally 100s of dollars) to the tasting! Incredible generosity!! So, the individual pricing of the tasting would ONLY consist of paying one’s fraction for the moderately-priced RWC Madeiras. AMAZING! Those 4 Madeiras retail for about $50 each, so a $200 total, divided up by how many attend. Let’s say 10 attend, for example, we’re looking at about a $20 charge per person to taste 8 Madeiras; 2 ‘old’, 2 ‘more recent’ but still ‘vintage’, and the 4 RWC Madeiras. AN INCREDIBLE TASTING and AN INCREDIBLE BARGAIN! champagne.gif

Wow indeed! I’m in. Even if we only have 5 or six participants, the cost would be incredibly reasonable. Thanks!

I can pick up @ Rare Wine Co. I have some other wine waiting for me there. It’d be no problem to pick up the Madeiras at the same time and bring them to the tasting.

I agree that we can do pot luck on the food at my home in Sunnyvale, at this point. We would need each person to bring his/her own stemware. While you may bring any shape/size that you would like, I would recommend something rather small along the lines of a Port glass, given the 19-20% alc. content of Madeira. For Madeira, I frequently use the Fusion Port Glass:

Additionally, we need to hear back from those of you signed up earlier, to make sure that you do still have an interest (some of you have dropped off of the radar…)

Sounds fantastic. Thanks, Eric! I’m in.

What time of day are you doing this? I have a party in the evening, but if afternoon, I’d love to join.