Luxury Car or Luxury Wine ?

Rent my moderate wine and lease my moderate car and if done right both remain new and fresh and easily sustainable.

Cayman S, Lexus LS460 & a ton of wine ! [cheers.gif]

Wine all day long. I can appreciate a nice car, but never understood the need to have one. For me, at the end of the day, a car is just a vehicle to get from point A to point B. Nothing more.

That would be me. But I’d rather have that cool trophy wife - she’s actually a sweetheart and could kick your butt - than that trophy bottle of chocolate milkshake that you adore! :wink: :wink:

I’d have to go with wine if forced to choose. I admit that I like a nice car, especially on longer trips. No two ways about it. But I really don’t care much anymore. I looked at really nice cars and realized, for what I use to for, I would end up just being worried about it so I ended up getting a Mazda small suv. Now, when I am banging around NYC or throwing ski gear in it, I don’t give it a second thought. And I don’t have to think about the parking garage guys dinging it, either.

At the end of the day, I care more about the quality of my wine than the quality of my car.

Both of theses +1
You also can buy a low mileage “exotic” for about what a fully equipped tricked out truck cost nowadays.
Used wine, not so much!

Carrera 4S and a decent amount of wine (with a Toyota for hauling said wine). I wouldn’t have any more wine if I didn’t have the car, and I wouldn’t have any more car if I didn’t have the wine… I might have more watches though.

They go together INHO along with other choices in life within a semblance of balance.

I think the gap between great cars and good cars has never been smaller. Jay’s comment about his WRX is a case in point. I’m not sure you can say the same about wine.

I drive a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox (v6 awd) and have recently ended up with a 2016 Cadillac ATS. Both are very fun to drive.

911S, and the wife just traded her 2007 LS460 for a new Macan GTS, big change for her.
We hold onto our cars for a long time usually10 years, so the initial price is not as important.
Even so I bought my 2015 911 used and saved 28% off MSRP.

I hold on to cars for a long time too, and always buy used, but expect that once I’m done with the Toyota I’ll end up with a Cayenne or Macan.

I need a truck to hold my pain
I need a truck just to haul around my name
I need a truck to haul all the women’s from my bed
I need a truck to haul my body when I’m dead

I need a truck to haul all my guns to town
I need a truck to haul my bad thoughts around
I need a truck to haul my Percodan and gin
And I need a truck to haul all my trucks in

What with all those trucks, who can afford a house, much less any wine to go with the Percodan and gin.

I’ve done the high end sports car thing. $500 oil changes and $1,500 repair bills get old quickly. Super fun at the race track, but impractical around town and idiots who want to drag race are an all too frequent annoyance. I’d take the high end wine any day of the week, plus it is more social than driving a car.

Me, a Prius, my second one. Somebody here probably has a case or two of wine worth more than my car. As Fu suggested, point A to point B with less gas while comfort isn’t a big deal for me.

I’m way more enriched by the wine I have to drink and to share than by driving one car over another. My current wine inventory is probably worth double what my current car cost when I bought it new in 2012.

That’s totally just me, though, no judgment intended as to anyone else.

This question does prompt me to retell a joke I’ve posted on here a few times, for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Civilian: How many bottles of wine do you buy per year?

Wine Geek: Usually about 250

Civilian: How much do you pay per bottle on average?

Wine Geek: About $40

Civilian: And how long have you been collecting wine?

Wine Geek: About 20 years, I suppose.

Civilian: So a bottle costs $40 and you buy 250 bottles a year, which puts your spending per year at approximately $10,000. Correct?

Wine Geek: Correct

Civilian: If in one year you spend $10,000, not accounting for inflation, the past 20 years puts your spending at $200,000, correct?

Wine Geek: Correct

Civilian: Do you know that if you didn’t buy so much wine and such expensive wine, that money could have been put in a step-up interest savings account and after accounting for compound interest for the past 20 years, you could have now bought a new Ferrari?

Wine Geek: Do you drink wine?

Civilian: No

Wine Geek: Where’s your Ferrari?

Both.

I drive a GT4.

My personal truck is 24 years old.
My work truck is 17 years old.
My Wife’s X5 is 16 years old.
The avg bottle in my cellar is 5 years old.

I answered #1

[resizeableimage=612,1024]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b6/93/99/b693992a953e2444c927ae08331239f1.jpg[/resizeableimage]

I’ve given a lot of thought to buying a Porsche but I am pretty sure that I’d have no license within a year. Better to have a car that provides comforts and benefits that don’t immediately translate into tickets.

I have thought about buying a used, cheap Miata. A rag top for fun driving that won’t get me in a huge amount of trouble. I have also given some thought to buying a Cayenne when the current LS460 is ready to go (not for another 50k miles or more. I keep cars a very long time). Never driven an SUV before on a daily basis and am kind of curious. My wife’s new RX is very nice (but for the interface, which would cause me to have an aneurysm if I drove it every day)

This, I lost all ability to comment on what my wife bought when I started buying wine.