Luggage Recommendations?

Dan - I did look there! Is it the IT?

Not sure what is IT.
I think ours is Ricardo, shiny ‘metallic’ blue.

Pretty durable and spacious.

Plus we get the Costco return policy.

Never, ever carry a garment bag. Easy route to neck, shoulder and back issues. The wheeled garment bag is the way to go. I had a superb victorinox one for over 10 years before it finally collapsed. Unfortunately, they stopped making it so I had to switch to the tumi version which was ludicrously overpriced and not as well designed.

I’m also in the market for a new hard sided case. Just looked on line at the Briggs and Riley, Hartmann and Rimowa ranges. Looks like the Hartmann cases are locked with zippers which is an absolute no no for me. Heading out to a luggage store today to check out the Hartmann and Rimowa cases which both look really nice. Thanks for the tips!

Just looked again and it seems the Rimowa salsa and the B&R cases also have zippers. Aaaargh!

50 years ago when I started traveling for business, there weren’t any wheeled garment bags. My Tumi bag predates the wheeled garment bag too. Now everything I have is wheeled including my wine suitcase. Wheels are another subject though. The durability and usability of a wheeled bag depends a great deal on the design and durability of the wheels and wheel assembly. Look close before you buy. Also determine if they can be easily replace.

Have found the large case from our set to be completely useless. too damn big

I just bought the two piece Ricardo set at Costco and used them this week. Great qpr.

Maybe you’re not packing enough crap! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ended up buying the victorinox 32inch hard sided spinner case. Reduced from $699 to $340 whereas there pea equivalent was not on sLe and was still $549. I’ve had good experiences with other victorinox so hopefully this one will work well.

I use a Tumi T-Tech wheeled duffel when I need a big bag. Related note, I recall seeing someone put up a collection of Tumi bags for sale/trade in Commerce Corner; maybe a deal to be had there?

In general, I use Tumi for bags small and large. Yes, the Alpha line is a bit showy, but the quality is there. My bags (Alpha or otherwise) have taken a fair beating over the years and are going strong.

If you can wait, they go on sale fairly often, either at their own website, or through sites like Gilt, Ruelala, etc. At sale prices, I think it’s worth it.

I love my Victorinox… was cheaper than many of it’s peers, and had a better warranty. Been using for 4-5 years with no issues - and I travel a LOT

To me, the key is a spinner. As you get older, you will want to wheel more and carry less. Much better for your back. The four wheel spinners are much better for getting through tight spaces (aisles in planes or trains, for example) and I love them.

Not sure I would want to go too high end and pay too much. Technology keeps changing the luggage gets more and more handy. I would expect that to continue, so why would I want luggage that will last forever? I got luggage like that in my 20s and never use it.

And Short Hills, NJ is only about an hours drive to Woodbury Common which has a Tumi Outlet store. I buy most of my luggage there.

I travel a lot for work (a good portion internationally and frequently with reroutings mid-trip) so I was looking for a carryon size that I could get everything into for a week trip. I no longer check bags. I found the Victorinox soft side to be the bag. It’s 8-wheel spinners are very sturdy and handle well over a number of surfaces. Couldn’t be happier.

For my personal item - I’ve switched to a Lo&Sons bag - the OG. Fits a ton - their videos will give you a good idea. https://www.loandsons.com/

We have traveled with 4 Samsonite suitcases all over the world. They are soft on top but have a hard bottom. Usually the luggage handlers will throw them on the hard side so it allows for some protection but still gives you that added give that a soft side will always provide. They are bright orange on the top and black on the back so very easy to spot. Have only had 1 zipper break in probably 20 trips. It was fixed for no cost. Love them and they were cheap. Less than $200 ea.

George

I’m used victorinox, samsonite, tumi, Briggs, and in the end Rimowa is just better. My large luggage weights 7lbs or so. That’s amazing and u can stuff it full and won’t go over the 50lb weight. Love it. Still have other luggage around and use it when needed but definitely always using the Rimowa first.
Only downside is cost. Otherwise it’s perfection.

Mark,
I’ve been looking at Rimowa and Briggs & Riley polycarbonate ‘bags’ to replace my 11 year old wheeled Patagonia Freightliner Max. I’ve not seen the new B&R ‘sympatico’ spinner in person, but I’m leaning toward it over the similar dimension Rimowa (which weighs 2 pounds more) because B&R has a better warranty. We travel often and log two 5-6 week international trips a year, so our bags are full and suffer airline and other abuse as a matter of course. Have you had any problems with polycarbonate durability? Removing travel stickers? Warranty issues with Rimowa? Rimowa’s warranty is more limited than B&R and one of the best attributes of Patagonia gear is the warranty. I’m on my 2nd or 3rd warranty replacement from Patagonia; all have been due to baggage handling/abuse and have been replaced without issue. The last thing I want is to buy an expensive bag that doesn’t hold up and has warranty issues. Thanks,

I have the salsa air which is the lightest and probably in turn least durable. I travelled about 15-20 weeks a year for work internationally. I’ve owned the luggage for about 5 years. So far nothing wrong and works great.

Polycarbonate does mean the sticker makes it a bit sticky. I don’t really care because I actually like it looking a bit dirty and used. So it attracts less thief attention haha. But if u do care, a little nail polish remover will polish it off. :slight_smile:

I know other colleagues who like Briggs as well and what they say is the warranty as the plus. So it sounds like if u are lucky and don’t need the fix, Rimowa is better. If u get a broken piece, u will of course like a free replacements :slight_smile:

Mine has been fine so I love it by far as the best :slight_smile:

Our first Rimowa (plain Salsa) has held up well so far, with a couple of international trips and plenty of domestic beatings. Yes, the polycarb does suffer scratches and the occasional gouge from the tender care of the baggage equipment, but it still looks nice. As mentioned, the sticky stuff comes off with goo-gone or similar, and some of the superficial scuffing polishes off too.

We liked it enough to supplement our 29" Salsa case with a 30" Salsa Deluxe case (the largest size that meets the IATA baggage standard).