Looking for a US publisher: update / chapter 16 Raveneau

Thanks for your support. I would love to have your feedback once you have read it.

Alan,
Dominique Lafon told me that the best Volnay he ever drank was Caillerets Clos des 60 Ouvrées '64 and '66 from Gérard Potel. Christophe Roumier calls Gérard’s wines from the '60’s ‘legendary.’ Lucky you if you had the opportunity to drink lots of it. This was my first wine from Gérard Potel. It was very good but I have to admit it lacked the complexity / depth of some very old grand crus I’ve had recently–such as Richebourg, La Tâche or Romanée-St-Vivant.

Khiem

Hard to believe but the book is now 11th in Amazon.fr’s top 100 sales of wine books.

(Mind you, this is not Amazon.com and not overall books.)

I took a screenshot just in case the book slips out of the charts. [highfive.gif]

Thank you all for your support.

Khiem
Amazon 11 du top 100 13 nov 16.PNG

Chapter 6: Eric Rousseau

2009 is a precocious vintage and Eric Rousseau decides to harvest on Monday September 7th. “The other winegrowers intended to harvest later but I told them:” I think it’s ripe. I’m harvesting." When Monday arrives, Eric and his team of pickers are alone in the vineyards of Gevrey-Chambertin. “I said to myself that the others would start the next day.” Yet, on Tuesday, there is no one else. On Wednesday, there’s still only Eric and his crew out picking. “At that point, I started to scratch my head: I must have gotten the harvest date wrong. I may have harvested too early but, for me, it’s ripe.” During three days, Eric and his team are the only ones picking grapes. Finally, on Thursday, another team appears and on Friday, two more. Eric has almost finished when most are just starting. "It bothered me for weeks. Later, in November, a group of clients told me: “It’s unbelievable. We tasted a lot of 2009s and found them too ripe and heavy whereas yours are fresh and elegant.” After another three or four similar comments, I told myself that I was right to begin picking early! Maybe it’s fashionable to harvest overripe grapes but I prefer my 2009s with more energy and freshness.”

Two tastings have left their marks on Eric Rousseau. The first followed the Paulée of San Francisco, in 2008. “That magnum of Romanée-Conti 1923 is one of the finest bottles that I have ever drunk. The funny thing is that I cannot remember whether it was Rudy Kurniawan—the infamous collector and wine counterfeiter—who had brought it!” The second tasting took place at the home of an American customer in California. Upon sitting down to dinner, everyone was handed a menu with the title ‘Death by wine.’ "We must have drunk 15 bottles between the seven of us. There was Yquem 1945, Cheval Blanc 1947, Latour 1949, Montrachet, Henri Jayer’s Cros Parentoux… Oooh boy, was it tough to get out of bed the next day!”

2009 est un millésime précoce et Éric Rousseau fixe la date des vendanges au lundi 7 septembre. « Les autres vignerons comptaient vendanger plus tard mais je leur ai dit : “Je trouve que c’est mûr. Je commence maintenant.” » Lorsque lundi arrive, Éric et son équipe de vendangeurs sont seuls dans les vignes de Gevrey-Chambertin. « Je me suis dit que les autres allaient commencer le lendemain. » Mardi, il n’y a pourtant personne d’autre. Mercredi, il n’y a toujours qu’eux. « Là, je me suis gratté la tête : “ J’ai dû me tromper dans la date de vendanges. J’ai peut-être vendangé trop tôt mais, pour moi, c’est mûr.” » Éric et son équipe vendangent seuls pendant trois jours. Finalement, jeudi, une autre équipe apparait et, vendredi, deux autres. Éric a quasiment terminé alors que la plupart commence. « Ça m’a turlupiné pendant plusieurs semaines. Au mois de novembre, des clients m’ont confié : “C’est incroyable. Nous avons goûtés pas mal de 2009 et nous les avons trouvés trop lourds et trop mûrs alors qu’ici, ils sont frais et élégants.” Au bout de trois ou quatre réflexions identiques, je me suis dit que j’ai eu raison de commencer plus tôt ! Peut-être que c’est la mode de récolter en sur-maturité mais je préfère mes 2009 avec plus d’énergie et de fraîcheur. »

Deux soirées de dégustation ont marqué Éric Rousseau. La première a suivi la Paulée de San Francisco, en 2008 : « Le magnum de Romanée-Conti 1923 est une des plus belles bouteilles que j’ai bues dans ma vie. Ce qui est rigolo, c’est que je ne me rappelle plus si c’est Rudy Kurniawan (le collectionneur et faussaire de vins) qui l’avait amenée ! » La seconde s’est déroulée chez un client américain en Californie. Au moment de se mettre à table, chacun reçoit un menu avec le titre annonciateur de “Mort par le vin.” « Nous avons vidé une quinzaine de bouteilles à sept : Yquem 1945, Cheval Blanc 1947, Latour 1949, du Montrachet, du Cros Parentoux d’Henri Jayer… Oooh que le réveil a été difficile le lendemain ! »
Eric and Cyrielle Rousseau in the Ruchottes-Chambertin, November 2015.JPG
Eric et Cyrielle Rousseau dans les Ruchottes, Novembre 2015.JPG
Cyrielle and Eric Rousseau, June 2015.JPG

Chapter 7: Jean and Jean-Louis Trapet

As a child, Jean Trapet spent much time with his grandfather Arthur. “By then, he was no longer working in the vineyard, only managing the cellar and the estate’s finances. He taught me how to read and write. The first word I could spell was ‘Chambertin,’ well before ‘Dad’ or ‘Mom’! That was my grandfather! I loved him very much.”

It is at the age of 50 that Jean gets to taste the finest wine of Burgundy. “I hosted a group of great chefs from Paris who were touring Burgundy. One of these gentlemen—I think it was Alain Senderens—asked me: ‘Have you ever tasted La Romanée-Conti?’ I laughed: ‘No. I have not but I would not upset your tasting.’ I was so happy when he called the estate and confirmed that I could join them. I was like a bashful young man on the eve of meeting his future fiancée! I was both entranced and full of humility as I tasted the range of the Domaine de la Romanée-Conti’s wines from barrel and then that older Romanée-Conti.”

“The terroir of Gevrey produces wines built with the same texture as those of Nuits-Saint-Georges but the Gevrey appellation covers more than 500 hectares. As a result, we have a geological diversity which confers many nuances and individual characteristics to our different wines. Of the Domaine’s three Grands Crus, Le Chambertin is by far the one which has the most complexity and persistence. I have vinified it over 30 vintages and it has always dominated my other wines. It rightfully belongs to the club of legendary wines of the Côte d’Or. With its scents of violets and raspberries, Le Chapelle-Chambertin is the most feminine of the three. Located on a compact bedrock bench in a sunny spot, it is the most precocious of Gevrey’s crus. Le Latricières-Chambertin is more earthy, possessing aromas of truffle and undergrowth. Young, it is more reserved than Le Chapelle but, with age, it surpasses it in complexity.”

Jean-Louis (who succeedded his father Jean) and his wife Andrée Trapet have the peculiarity of being both winegrowers in Burgundy and Alsace. They are somewhat rivals as Andrée grows Pinot Noir in Beblenheim and Jean-Louis, not to be outdone, makes truly amazing white wines in Gevrey-Chambertin.
“We spend the week in Gevrey and the weekend in Alsace,” explains Jean-Louis. “At each harvest, I try to convince Andrée to sell the grapes rather than vinify them because I am afraid that people might find her Pinot Noir d’Alsace better than my Gevrey!”

Enfant, Jean Trapet a bien connu son grand-père Arthur. « À cette époque, ne pouvant plus aller dans les vignes, il travaillait en cave et gérait la comptabilité. Il m’a appris à lire et à écrire : le premier mot que je sus écrire fut “Chambertin,” bien avant “papa” ou “maman” ! Ça, c’était mon grand-père ! Je l’aimais beaucoup. »

C’est à 50 ans que Jean goûte le plus grand vin de Bourgogne. « J’avais accueilli un groupe de grands restaurateurs parisiens qui faisait la tournée des domaines. Un de ces messieurs, Alain Senderens, je crois, m’a demandé : “Avez-vous déjà goûté la Romanée-Conti ?” J’ai rigolé : “Non. Je n’en ai jamais eu l’occasion mais je ne voudrais pas gêner votre dégustation.” J’étais tellement heureux lorsqu’il a appelé le domaine et m’a confirmé que je pouvais me joindre à eux. J’étais comme un jeune homme transi qui allait découvrir sa future ! J’étais à la fois en transe et plein d’humilité devant l’ensemble des vins dégustés sur fût et puis devant cette Romanée-Conti plus âgée. »

« Le terroir de Gevrey donne des vins de garde, bâtis avec la même texture que ceux de Nuits-Saint-Georges, mais la commune couvre plus de 500 hectares. De fait, nous avons une grande diversité géologique qui confère beaucoup de nuances et d’expressions individuelles aux différents vins. De nos trois grands crus, le Chambertin est de loin celui qui a le plus de complexité et de persistance. Je l’ai vinifié sur 30 millésimes et il a toujours dominé mes autres vins. Il fait partie des vins mythiques de la Côte avec raison. Le Chapelle-Chambertin est le plus féminin avec ses parfums de violettes et de framboises. Il se trouve sur un banc de roche compact et bien ensoleillé : c’est le plus précoce des crus de Gevrey. Le Latricières-Chambertin est plus un vin de terre, avec des parfums de truffe et de sous-bois. Jeune, il est plus réservé que le Chapelle mais le dépasse en complexité en vieillissant. »

Jean-Louis (qui a succédé à son père Jean) et son épouse Andrée ont la particularité d’être vignerons à la fois en Bourgogne et en Alsace. Ils sont un peu concurrents puisqu’Andrée cultive du pinot noir à Beblenheim en Alsace et que Jean-Louis, pour ne pas être en reste, fait des vins blancs réellement étonnants à Gevrey-Chambertin.

« Nous passons la semaine à Gevrey et le week-end à Riquewihr, » indique Jean-Louis. « A chaque récolte, j’essaie de pousser Andrée à vendre les raisins plutôt que de les vinifier parce que j’ai trop peur que les gens trouvent son pinot noir meilleur que mon Gevrey !, » s’amuse-t-il.
Jean and Jean Louis Trapet, October 2014.JPG
Look carefully at the glass Jean-Louis Trapet is holding; it's Chardonnay, May 2015.JPG

the book arrived last friday. Now just getting signatures from all winegrowers and Khiem…

Kristof,
What do you think of the book? Which parts do you like the most / the least ?
I’m very keen on having your feedback.
I would be happy to sign your copy when you next pass through Paris.
So far, I’ve gotten Jean-François Coche (he’s in the introduction!), Christophe Roumier, Vincent Dauvissat, Noël and Jean-Claude Ramonet, Bernard and Jean-Marie Raveneau to sign mine. Will have to go back for the others.
Thanks for purchasing the book!
Khiem

Hi Khiem ,
I bought your book at l’Athenee in Beaune ( actually , I bought 11 copies for the members of my wine club but I see that Kristof already has one ) .
The book is absolutely great . Last night , I read the chapters on Rousseau and Aubert de Villaine : very interesting , very entertaining , and you can learn a lot from it . A total must read for all Burgundy lovers . It’s in French , so an English translation is in order .
Fyi , all chapters are in the form of an interview , mostly between 8 and 10 pages . Eric Rousseau talks about his grandfather and father ( poor Eric ) , Aubert about his family , how wine making changed over the last 5 decades ( or more ) , how the succession looks like and 100+ more interesting facts .
Khiem , the only part that I am missing is information about you : you are too modest , this is a master piece .

The only criticism I would have is the absence of anything remotely negative : it would have been interesting , for example , to discuss premox with Lafon and Leflaive .

I’m reading it too, it gives very good insight in the complexity of Burgundy with all the family histories, plots aquitisitions, sales etc and for me it is also very interesting who influenced the different winemakers. Really a nice read. But I’m not halfway yet!

Herwig,

My aim was to talk about positive rather than negative things. So, yes, the tone is definitively upbeat and positive. But I would not say that there’s not anything negative in the book. Some of the things discussed are quite nuanced if you read between the lines.

And the growers admit to past mistakes (overcropping, overuse of chemicals, ‘failing’ certain cuvées or vintages, being affected by premox…) For example, Robert Groffier says he made ‘sad’ wines in the 1960s and 1970s. Christophe Roumier admits that he made a blunder with the 2004’s. Eric Rousseau describes how they poisoned the soil with potassium… Try getting Château Latour, Petrus or Krug to acknowledge anything similar!

I did discuss premox with the 4 of the 7 white winegrowers in the book. Jean-Marc Roulot and Jean-Claude Ramonet admitted that they, personally, and the profession, in general, were affected by premox. A summary of the discussion with Jean-Marc Roulot is in the book; the one with Jean-Claude Ramonet got axed because of lack of space and redundancy with Roulot. (I can publish it on this forum if you guys are interested.) Vincent Dauvissat never had problems with it. Anne-Claude Leflaive said there was no case of premox among the Leflaive wines which had never left the Domaine’s cellar—end of discussion. And I didn’t think of broaching it with Dominique Lafon, Pierre Morey or the Raveneaus—partly because I had discussed it at length with Jean-Marc and Jean-Claude.

Regarding myself, I worked in finance and was never involved in the wine industry. I just really like wine, fell in love with Burgundies after drinking a Cros Parantoux from Henri Jayer, and started visiting Burgundy in 2004. Every time, the vignerons would tell me interesting and funny stories. This is what gave me the idea for the book.

I’m glad that you like the book overall. It was a lot of sweat and tears—a full-time job for 2 and ½ years—but also a lot of fun. And I have learned so much.

Thanks for buying the book for your group of friends. (Athenaeum, which started out with 50 copies, had to reorder more!)

Kristof,
I’m looking forward to your final verdict.

Khiem

I forgot to ask.

Which chapters do you like best ?

The English version will be longer. I’m adding back some of the things I had to cut as my Publisher imposed a maximum book length. I had to cut 54% of the original text . That was probably too much but I had to leave out interesting things.

Khiem

Loving reading the excerpts, what is the ETA on the English version?

Dave,

I have almost finished translating the first chapter (Roumier).
Assuming I can do one every 15 days, it will take me 8 months for the other 15.
And then, I have to clinch a deal with a U.S. Publisher.

So I would say, at best, in a year’s time.

Khiem

Chapter 8: Aubert de Villaine

I had been waiting several weeks for Aubert de Villaine’s answer to my email (Yes! Even Aubert uses email!) asking whether he would agree to be interviewed for my book. I know that he has been piling up overseas trips but has he forgotten about me? One day, in Burgundy, as I look at a restaurant’s wine list, I decide to order the Bouzeron from the Domaine de Villaine. It will surely prompt an answer from him. I scan my BlackBerry every day but there is no email from him. Back in Paris, while cleaning up my email account, I discover his reply. It had been there since that fateful day at the restaurant! I just had not foreseen that Hotmail would have the nerve to classify his missive as spam.

Running 20 pages, Aubert de Villaine’s portrait is the longest of the 16 which make-up my book. Well, his career does span five decades…

Aubert has no preference either for young or old wines. “When I drink old and wonderful wines, I say to myself that we should drink more of them; we drink them too young. When I drink young wines which are delicious, I ask myself: ‘why wait?’”

The Vosne-Romanées are delicate and you must be very careful with sauces. “Red meat and mashed potatoes make the best companion food,” confirms Aubert. “Wine is meant to be paired with gastronomy. But when gastronomy becomes too sophisticated, when it showcases itself, the wine goes into hiding. When tasting a fine wine before the meal, we appreciate all of its qualities. With the meal, it will not taste as good three times out of four. The food may enhance the wine but this is very rare. To find the dish which will make the wine taste better is the most complicated thing in the world. My old friend Richard Olney knew how to do that very well. He was an exceptional cook, one of the greatest of his generation. I find truffle to be too overpowering for wine but I remember arriving at Richard’s, in Provence, on the stroke of noon, with a Bâtard-Montrachet. On the double, Richard prepared an omelette with black truffles and the wine took on an extraordinary dimension! Richard reiterated this feat by cooking up, at the last minute, a galette of potatoes cut into very thin strips which exalted a Richebourg 1964. The wine was almost better than if it had been drunk by itself. This shows that the simplest food is best for wine!”

Voilà plusieurs semaines que j’attends la réponse d’Aubert de Villaine suite à mon e-mail sollicitant un rendez-vous. (Eh oui ! Même Aubert utilise le courrier électronique !) Je sais qu’il enchaîne les déplacements à l’étranger mais m’aurait-il oublié ? Un jour, alors que je me trouve au restaurant en Bourgogne, je commande le Bouzeron du Domaine de Villaine en me disant que ça allait sûrement déclencher une réponse de sa part. Je scrute mon Blackberry tous les jours et je rumine : « Ça n’a pas marché ! » De retour à Paris, en faisant le ménage dans ma messagerie électronique, je découvre que sa réponse est là depuis ce fameux jour au restaurant ! Je n’avais juste pas envisagé que Hotmail aurait l’indélicatesse de classer sa missive en courrier indésirable.

Avec ses 20 pages, le portrait d’Aubert de Villaine est le plus long des 16 qui composent mon livre. Mais il faut savoir que sa carrière a commencé il y a plus de 50 ans…

Aubert n’a pas de préférence pour les vins jeunes ou vieux. « Lorsque je bois des vins vieux qui sont merveilleux, je me dis qu’on devrait boire plus de vins vieux ; on les boit trop jeunes. Lorsque je bois des vins jeunes qui possèdent plein de qualités et qui sont délicieux, je me dis pourquoi attendre ? »

Les Vosne-Romanée sont délicats et il faut faire très attention avec les sauces. « Ce que je préfère comme accompagnement, c’est une viande rouge et une purée, » confirme Aubert. « Le vin est fait pour la gastronomie mais dès qu’elle devient trop compliquée, dès qu’elle se met en valeur, le vin part se cacher. Lorsqu’on déguste un grand vin avant le plat, on trouve toutes ses qualités. Sur le plat, il sera moins bien trois fois sur quatre. Il arrive que le plat rehausse le vin mais c’est très rare. Trouver une nourriture qui mette le vin en valeur, c’est la chose la plus compliquée au monde. Mon vieil ami Richard Olney savait très bien le faire. C’était un cuisinier exceptionnel, l’un des plus grands de sa génération. Je trouve que la truffe marque trop le vin mais je me rappelle avoir débarqué chez Richard, en Provence, sur le coup de midi, avec un Bâtard-Montrachet. Richard a préparé une omelette aux truffes noires à toute vitesse et le vin a pris une dimension extraordinaire ! Richard a réitéré cette performance en improvisant au dernier moment un paillasson de pommes de terre, découpées en fines lamelles, qui a exalté un Richebourg 1964. Le vin était presque meilleur que s’il avait été bu seul. Ce qui démontre bien que la nourriture la plus simple est la meilleure pour le vin ! »
DSC01045 Aubert de Villaine dans Romanée-St-Vivant.JPG
DSC01220 chais du Domaine de la Romanée-Conti.JPG

Chapter 8 (continued): Aubert

Aubert is so close to the wines of Vosne-Romanée that, for him, there is not one but many different profiles. “Nevertheless, they share this airy, charming and silky trait. My goal is to make sure that the wines of the Domaine de la Romanée-Conti retain this distinctive trait on top of their individual characteristics.”

The best vineyards in Vosne-Romanée are located mid-slope, neither too high nor too low. At the top of the coteau, there is little soil because of erosion and, as the underlying bedrock is very compact, the roots cannot penetrate it. In dry years, the grapes lack water and do not reach optimal maturity. At the bottom of the coteau, the soil is too deep and the vine struggles to fully ripen all of its grapes every year. It is also subject to both frost and rot. Mid-slope, there is the right amount of soil and the underlying bedrock is fractured, allowing the roots to insinuate themselves. Thus, the vine can absorb the climate shocks: in dry years, it draws water from the rock; in wet years it benefits from this natural drainage. This is the best location and this is where you find all of the Grands Crus. La Romanée-Conti occupies the center of this ‘Grands Crus’ zone; La Romanée, the upper part; Le Richebourg, the top and middle; La Romanée-Saint-Vivant, the lower part. La Tâche is interesting. “Although it encompasses all three levels of this zone, a strong and original character emerges from its heterogeneous vineyard.”

“La Tâche gives off a taste which one often equates with licorice but its character is much more complex. When tasting, I no longer try to describe it because it’s too complicated! Le Richebourg is a favorite with the ladies because it first shows off its muscles before revealing its charms. La Romanée-Conti gently sums up the qualities of the other Grands Crus of Vosne. The wines of the Domaine display a common element: a light ‘green plant’ touch which will accompany them and give them that rose petal flavor in 20 or 30 years.”

Aubert de Villaine est si proche des vins de Vosne-Romanée que, pour lui, il n’y a pas un mais beaucoup de profils différents. « Néanmoins, ils ont en commun ce côté aérien, charmant et soyeux. Mon objectif est de conserver aux vins du Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, en plus de leurs nuances individuelles, ce caractère distinct. »

Les meilleures vignes à Vosne-Romanée, se trouvent en piémont, ni trop en haut ni trop en bas. En haut, il y a peu de terre à cause de l’érosion et comme la roche est très compacte, les racines ne pénètrent pas. Dans les années sèches, les raisins manquent d’eau et mûrissent moins bien. Dans le tout bas, la terre est trop profonde et la vigne a du mal à porter l’ensemble de son raisin jusqu’à maturité tous les ans. Il y a à la fois un risque de gel et de pourriture. En piémont, la roche est la plus fracturée et il y a une bonne profondeur de terre. La vigne peut amortir les chocs climatiques : dans les années sèches, elle puise l’eau dans la roche par ses racines ; dans les années humides, elle bénéficie d’un drainage naturel. C’est la position privilégiée. La Romanée-Conti occupe le centre de la zone du piémont où se trouvent tous les grands crus ; la Romanée, la partie supérieure de cette zone “grands crus” ; le Richebourg, le haut et le milieu ; la Romanée-Saint-Vivant, la partie basse. L’appellation La Tâche est intéressante. « Elle tient la zone grand cru de haut en bas et englobe les trois niveaux mais un caractère marqué et original se dégage de ce sol hétérogène. »

« La Tâche a un goût qu’on assimile souvent à la réglisse mais son caractère est beaucoup plus complexe. En dégustation, je n’essaie plus de la décrire car c’est trop compliqué ! Le Richebourg plaît aux dames parce qu’il montre d’abord ses muscles avant de révéler ses charmes. La Romanée-Conti concentre les qualités des autres grands crus de Vosne dans la douceur. Les vins du Domaine affichent un point commun : une toute petite touche végétale qui va les accompagner et leur donner ce goût de pétale de rose dans 20 ou 30 ans. »
DSC01232 Aubert de Villaine in the cellar of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, October 2014.JPG

Khiem, I assume it is still available at Atheneum in Beaune in the coming weeks? You mentioned that they sold out and have reordered?

Jozef,

When I spoke to the bookstore manager, he still had a few copies left and had already reordered more. And their web site says they have it in stock. If you want to be sure, you could order it online from them for a pick-up in the store.

Khiem

Khiem,
Excellent stuff! Really interesting

Excellent Khiem. In the meanwhile I have already bought it actually. It will make an excellent christmas gift!

I just finished reading the book . It is certainly one of the most enjoyable wine books I have ever read . Full of anecdotes which makes it fun reading . But also a great historical overview of these 16 estates with a candid reflection on how Burgundy has evolved . A must read for all Burgundy lovers .
Khiem , I liked all the chapters . Mugnier is probably the smartest guy in your book , what he says is very interesting so that is probably my favorite chapter . But the lifes of Roulot , Dugat and de Villaine are also so interesting .