Looking for a fun place in NYC to take ten 25 year olds for dinner that won't bankrupt me.

Tartine Cafe at a very active walking crossroads in the West Village.

CORKAGE YES, NO FEE, everyday. They don’t sell wine or liquor.
Cash only and for a party your size, even though they don’t take reservations, call 90 minutes ahead as they will put tables aside as long as you plan to be the first for dinner, 5 to 5:30.
If you can get the sidewalk spots your group can become part of the street activity, certainly taking people watching to the next level. http://www.tartinecafenyc.com/photos/

http://www.tartinecafenyc.com/
253 W. 11th St., NY, NY 10014 (Corner West 4th st. & 11th st.)
(212) 229-2611

some great choices, but nothing i’d pick for ten 25 year olds…

check out:

ABC Cocina
Rubirosa - very small, not sure if 10 is crazy
Lure
Catch
Toro
Ditch Plains
Navy

Recently did a big group(almost 20) at Empellon Cocina and it was great food, service and reasonable prices!

I’ve never eaten at Great NY Noodletown, but I think Chinese would be a great idea for 25 yr olds. Can do lots of variety, and it won’t be expensive. Recently had good inexpensive meals at China Blue (but location odd) and Grand Sichuan St Marks (Lan Sheng too, but small for party of 10)
If you don’t like Chinese, tapas is a good idea. Txikito would be another choice.

The other Empellon would work well also (maybe even better as it’s a bigger space).

Agreed, and more reasonably priced.

Totally. I took my son and his girlfriend and our tenants there and we had a great meal. Nice view, in the Time Warner building, and decent service. But they have a wine-list so BYO is iffy.

We’ve always enjoyed Landmarc, especially the sinful bone marrow appetizer!

And Bouchon Bakery is a few steps from the door so I snuck in some Macarons for an under the table dessert.

But maybe it’s in the “top half” of Manhattan??

I would highly recommend Edi & The Wolf. Great reasonably priced wine list and very good food. They also have big tables that you can reserve.

Cool vibe and neighborhood that the 25 years old would like. I go often.

They can go for cocktails afterwards at Third Man

I think I found another candidate Mark. Went to The Marrow last night (owner is Top Chef Season 1 winner, and probably a friend or Roberto’s, Harold Dieterle) and came away very happy with it. Food was very well made and flavorful (even for the usually mediocre Restaurant Week menu) and prices were reasonable. Cocktails were decent and the wine list is heavy on German & Northern Italians. Corkage is $30. Atmosphere was pretty nice and lively; sits on a great corner of the West Village…walking distance to a bunch of after-dinner activities. And here’s the coup de grace; the private cellar room that can sit up to 12:
image.jpg

Mark: I also enjoyed Marrow but didn’t realize they had that special room. I also really enjoyed Dieterle’s other restaurant in the Village called Perilla but do not know if they are suitable for your group. It is on Jones just about next door to Florence Meats.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
Marshall

You know, I never even remember the branch in the tw building. I always think of the original TriBeCa version where I had brunch once a week for about a year or so when I was taking a class nearby. Food is good and plenty of options for people who don’t feel like being adventurous, including an excellent burger. Last I checked they allowed $25 corkage but that was a while ago.

I always loved the original TriBeCa location and used to go often. I’ve been to the TW location twice and only for lunch because I often stay in that building. They do a really good job with wine service and I would recommend it. I also second the recommendation of Empellon. All of these threads have made me realize I need to get to NYC soon.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72641&hilit=Guy+fieri#p981102

newhere

After a glutinous weekend in NYC with the estimable Kathryn Kaplan and her boyfriend Jon, (whom we met for the first time and like), we closed the show Monday night at Beauty & Essex in grand style. Thanks to all for your recommendations. KK and her sisterfriends chose B&E because they always wanted to be served drinks in the toilet… The food was much better than I feared, the drinks strong, the music loud, the lighting low, and the winelist reasonably priced. Much of the evening was spent discussing things that large, multi-ethnic, female dominated families (with a large social worker contingent) discuss: Beyonce, who is worse: Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson, Beyonce, South Carolina football (Sandstorm and white towel waving, included), our last ‘family dinner’ at Buddakan, their month-long pre-graduate school graduation bender two years ago, scary social worker home visit stories to worry my wife even more, what to order (that took quite some time), who had a good fantasy football weekend, and other fascinating topics that I can’t wait to revisit the next time we have family dinner in NYC.