Lets talk Mondeuse!

Thanks Andy, more great info for us all. Much appreciated!

So I opened a bottle of Giles Berlioz Domaine Partage La…deuse… and I thought Wow! this is a juicy wine kind of a cross between Cru Beaujolais and N. Rhone St. Joseph perhaps. Nice N. Rhone spicy aromatics and that gamey juiciness. A good drink.

Then I get the Kermit Lynch email and they are pushing the Quenard Mondeuse and how do they describe it?
"One might place it somewhere in between fine cru Beaujolais and classic northern Rhône Syrah from an appellation like Saint Joseph—lively, juicy, floral, low in alcohol, and supremely elegant with a touch of meatiness you can chew on. "

Bingo. I have a singleton of the 2006 Quenard I’ll have to check in on.

Berlioz is my second favorite Mondeuse producer, behind Belluard.

jean yves peron makes several cuvées from rather old vines in savoie, usually around 10.5 degrees as well.

Overall do you guys feel Mondeuse is ageable? Long term? Short term? I know this will depend on a number of factors but just curious about your overall thoughts on the grape as my experience is super limited.

I used to drink Mondeuse a lot more than I do now. Back in 2012, a 1994 Magnin Mondeuse was opened at a wine dinner in Portland, OR that was great - aged perfectly. Generally, I think the best French Mondeuse (I haven’t tried any from the US or elsewhere) can blend together some of the earthy/meaty notes of rugged Northern Rhone Syrahs, the airy/floral qualities of Burgundies, with the sappiness of Gamay. It’s a generalization, sure, but looking over my notes and reading the thoughts of others above, that seems to be a common theme.

Some producers to take note of include:

Trosset
Peillot
Belluard (mentioned above)
Vullien
Magnin

Opened the 2011 Lagier Meredith today. My first Mondeuse but not my last. All I can say is this is really good and I need to order more. Too bad the 2011 is gone.

A nice French one from last summer:

(Note: this is a rosé)
C: Light pink
N: Delicate, strawberries
P: Slightly bitter on opening, but that blows off in ten minutes. Then long, lean and very compelling, with very good balance. Refreshing, with a pleasant light fruitiness. Paired well with sausages and salad, should be fine with BBQ. Great QPR!

Posted from CellarTracker

I just had this last night as well and had similar thoughts. Really dug it.

From archive.

2016 Domaine de L`Idylle Mondeuse Noir Vin de Savoie.
11.5% alc, good nat cork, decanted one hour, $28 Cdn, always a nice presentation label. Medium depth in color, violets and pepper on the nose, earthy for sure. Initial entry thought is quite acidic and tart with a bitter touch on the finish. “Picked too early” from across the table. Fruit hard to discern here and not much evolvment overnight either. Too young, tannins to the forefront and not a lot of fun. Satay pork skewers and rice was served alongside. Expected more.

This year I drank a couple bottles of the A & M Quenard Chignin that I just adored. And on the to-do list is trying the Lagier-Meredith. Maybe one will be offered on Berserker Day?