Let's talk everything Champagne

I’ve had the NV PP many times with friends as a couple of them really love the stuff, but I just can’t get into it. I think it’s a stylistic thing, to me the wines from Pierre Peters are always on the oxidative side of the spectrum.

I love Champagne! Random thread gets random reply!

These are my top 20 producers according to cellartracker

Charles Heidsieck 13,3%
Louis Roederer 7,2%
Pol Roger
Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin 5,8%
Bollinger 5,0%
Gaston Chiquet 4,6%
Taittinger 4,3%
Marie-Noelle Ledru 3,1%
Vilmart & Cie 3,1%
Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard 2,9%
Camille Savès 2,9%
Paul Bara 2,7%
Moët & Chandon 2,5%
Claude Cazals 2,3%
Philipponnat 2,1%
Pierre Gimonnet 1,9%
Ruinart 1,9%
A. Margaine 1,9%
Henriot 1,9%
Lanson 1,9%

80,1% White
19,9% Rosé

A few named not yet tossed in the mix that I enjoy and sell:
-Lassaigne
-Nathalie Falmet
-Paul Clouet

I began the journey into champagnes recently and, unfortunately for the wallet, enjoy it. I can’t comment too much on favorite producers yet. I did pick up a bottle of Clos des Goisses 2004 yesterday that will hopefully make for a delicious evening one of these days.

I was wondering about that. Why? I’d like to try it.

By the way, your phalaenopsis looks pretty sad!

If I could get Chetillons for $30 more/bottle I’d buy it by the case…it’s more like twice the price.

Just got this offer from JJB. Anyone know anything about this wine?

Rene’ Geoffroy Cuvee Volupte
1er Cru NV Champagne
Champagne, France
$44.51/bottle

I really think gimmonets basic bdb is an amazing qpr.

Dave

The larger bowl really seems to help with the nose of Champagne. The flutes just seem to streamline everything and make the wine less interesting, IMO.

And yes, the orchid is on it’s way out. Had it for about three months and I’m down to the last two Blossoms. Sad indeed.

I share your enthusiasm. This year, I’ve bought as much champagne as still wine. Just picked up 1/2 case of Camille Saves Rose this past week, as that stuff is money, such a great Rose. I fear that with the coming mailer events that I’ll have to pull back on bubbly to remain in budget.

I wish I would have latched onto champagne sooner.

Champagne is third only to red burg and German Riesling in my cellar. As everyone knows, it goes great with so many types of food and it can easily fill the role of white burgs without the horrible POX risk. There’s also such a great range of styles out there to experiment with and enjoy.

One producer that doesn’t get anything like the attention it deserves is Deutz. Across the range their wines are excellent.

I’ve never had Deutz Rose but I understand Juhlin to be a fan.

What Jeb said. You wouldn’t drink any other wine from such a constricted glass. The flute emphasizes the bead at the expense of everything else. Give me flavor and aroma and body with fewer bubbles every time.

Just took delivery of 80 or so bottles from my favourite producers, will let them sleep though, except the Peters rose which is an earlier drinker IMHO.

The 2002 Dom Ruinart bdb is wonderful and available. Good CT notes. I subscribe to Brad Baker’s Champagne Warrior and he has saved me from buying some and directed me to buy others.

+1 on Brad’s newsletter. A great resource (and integrated with CT). i gave a bunch of the Dom Ruinart but haven;t opened one yet. Need to change that

Maybe you should look a little harder for better deals? [wink.gif] The last time I purchased NV Peters, I paid $43/bottle; 2005 Chetillons was $85 to $90. If you took the time to look on W-S you would find several vintages priced in the $90s right now. I said $30 more a bottle; I was in the ballpark. When I do find good deals they usually only have a few bottles so a case is not an option.

Yum, learning to love champagne this year. I haven’t ventured much beyond some of the big names (Dom, Roger, Billecart-Salmon, Krug) yet though. Can anyone point to a good place for me to learn about the growers?

Paid $100 for the '06 which was WS-pro low (and sabered). Happy 4th!
image.jpg