LA Times' J. Gold LOVES Stephen Gelber's place Smoke.Oil.Salt

FWIW, my wife ate at S.O.S while on business in LA last week. She came back and said to me that if this place was local we’d eat there once a week if not more.

smart

We had a terrific meal here after the K&L champagne event a week or so back. All the staff was helpful, service was great, and a couple of dishes go into my top 10.

Plus, Stephen (who was on the floor all evening, making it a point to talk to all the tables), helped a tablemate select an excellent 1964 Rioja off the wine list.

It’s noisy, but it’s white noise. An intimate venue well worth a visit.

My wife who was a solo diner had a nice conversation with Stephen who helped her choose a few dishes and then recommended a lunch place (Petit Trois) which she went to the next day and loved!!! Two thumbs up and some serious jealousy from a husband who was stuck in NJ during some of the worst rains we’ve seen in a long time while my wife was eating at a bunch of fun places in LA.

For the locals, I am coming down to visit my favorite knife vendor who is on wilshire. How far away would this be if I stayed near wilshire (think its 8400 block of wilshire)

2.7 miles from 8400 Wilshire Blvd.

30 minutes driving. [snort.gif]

Hey Mike,
Glad she enjoyed it. Hope to see you again soon.

Stephen

Fwiw, Jon is in SOS frequently. Our chefs get their knives from him.

Thanks James! Great to meet you guys.

PS - I did some sound abatement last week to help with the noise.

Went to our first Paella Night on Sunday and had a great time. I’m still full on Weds morning.

The sound panels make a lot of difference. I could converse with our friends, listen to The Smiths, and hear both.

Alan Weinberg and I along with our wives are coming in December 6th. Looking forward to it!

Jerry Hey

You will love it Jerry . . Enjoy, and regards to Alan!

I enjoyed a great meal there last night. Potatoes and seafood paella were killer.

Indeed, they were. Squid ink paella with some beautiful prawns, super dark napkin wrecker. Extremely tasty, great value at $49 per person for four courses.

Alan Weinberg and I, along with our wives, went to smoke.oil.salt last night, a Saturday. It was a full house at 6:30 with plates of food and wine being handed out all over. A lively crowd with music playing kept things at full volume for the night. We ordered 5 of the small plates - smoked onions, duck confit, octopus, porc pate, cauliflower and broccoli, and all were delicious with the wood fired grill smokiness and spices. Then Stephen Gelber stopped by the table for a chat and had the beet gazpacho and olives brought over - another two distinctive tastes. For the main course we ordered the giant prawns, quail, trout, and pork belly. I loved the quail with lentils, chickpeas and goat cheese. The giant prawns came in the shell which were difficult to get off but they were perfectly cooked. The trout had a sauce which gave it nice flavor and the pork was delicious. For dessert, pumpkin doughnuts with chocolate sauce and a catalan version of creme brûlée. Alan and I brought a total of 8 bottles of wine and we fought it out to see which two bottles would be opened. I guess my wine sucked (2006 Vilmart Couer de Cuvee, 1996 Raveneau Valmur, 2004 Leflaive Puligny Pucelles, 1985 Leroy Gevrey Lavaux St Jacques) because we open Alan’s 2000 Raveneau les Clos and 1999 Drouhin Vosne Romanee Petits Monts (leaving the 1999 Roulot Meursault Charmes and 1995 Rouget Vosne Cros Parantoux live for another day). If this was my neighborhood restaurant I’d be going in for a few of the small plates and a glass of Rioja and be very happy, but it’s over an hour from my house; too bad. Nice to finally meet Stephen - good luck with this venture!

we are going to try and save 96 Raveneau for Martin S. Fun resto w authentic tasty food and, as Jerry opined, nice to meet Steve and thanks for the appetizers! The Clos rocked (oh, so young!) and the Petits Monts was lovely but not an epiphany. Wines may have been too subtle for the food–Rioja next time!

Thanks for coming in Jerry and Alan. It was nice to meet you.
Also was great to see Steve and Ryan last month.
Glad you all enjoyed the food and had good times.
Thanks guys.

Dying to try this place, but can’t seem to get a table on a Saturday night (which is a good sign for them, of course). Glad to hear everyone is loving it so much and congrats, Stephen!

Thanks Ken.
PM or email me, and I will get you in.

Stephen