LA restaurant favorites and why

What do you mean by “Ink. phase” Mark?

Factory Kitchen is controversial in that it isn’t a “wow” place. The dishes are quite subdued and it isn’t the longest of menus. Their best dish, the mandilli, is really simple but delicious.

We went to Bestia last weekend and the food was really tasty. I have a bit of a resistance to the place because it so friggin crowded and noisy, and the winelist + corkage aren’t too appealing. I went with a serious wine collector from out of town and he thought it was one of the wierdest winelists he’d ever seen. Though I will say it has expanded. The food there is definitely excellent if one can navigate the ressie and wine issues.

I know I’ve ranted before but while the food in L.A. is really nice these days the ressies, rooms, and wine policies are tougher to navigate. Trois Mec, Bucato, and Orsa all have ressie/wine hurdles too. Last weekend we went to Lukshon, Bestia, WaterGrill, and Patina. it was a good four day weekend of dinners. The last two were definitely less creative and hip. But the food was excellent at all and those was really solid, the rooms much more comfortable, the service more attentive, and the wine program more sensible.

I mean that I’m in a phase where I’m going to Ink. frequently after not having been for a while.

I’d also add Red Medicine as a place that we like a lot. Their corkage policy isn’t great, but they sell wines on their list that I like. I no longer feel the need to bring wine to every restaurant meal.

stupid hipster wine list. grumble.

Lukson also doesn’t allow corkage right? Orsa is 1 btl.

I guess I had a better meal than you then. But I thought the restaurant’s identity was pretty clear in the name. Flower Street used to be called Faith Street back in the 1920s, so the restaurant — in menu and decor — attempts to straddle both time periods. Many of the dishes and drinks pay homage to classics from the past while at the same showcasing the eclectic ethnic influences present in Los Angeles cuisine today. Pricey, yes; but then again, so is much of the DTLA food scene.

The restaurant is completely confused in its identity food wise, I don’t care about how it looks or its quirky hipster identity. You have a series of pasta dishes, a series of pizza, then use of eastern asian spices and ingredients while then mixing in middle eastern spices and ingredients on the next dish. It’s just throwing stuff against a wall hoping things stick. There’s no cohesiveness in the menu.

Also probably one of the worst steaks I’ve ever had in their Rib Eye. We ordered the 32oz’er. The Vermouth flavor was never cooked off and the Mesquite was so overpowering. Then they of course served it medium when asked for Medium Rare. Glad I paid $85 for that puppy.

I’ve now gone there 3 times, twice for dinner (second time to see if the first time was a fluke) and once for lunch. I’m actually meeting some friends there tonight as well for drinks. I’d LOVE for the restaurant to be awesome, my parking lot for the office is in the same building. Unfortunately it’s like all other DTLA restaurants in that small area. The food isn’t all that different than Towne before it.

Not previously mentioned in the thread, and has been around for a while–Rivera. The cuisine is fairly inventive and they have excellent cocktails:

Bruce

Wow, take a breather, Charlie. Here’s hoping the fourth time’s a charm.

? just giving an explanation why it’s confused with its identity. Thought I’d be more elaborate so Alan won’t bother going and wasting his daughter’s victory lap meal on it.

LOL OK. Then Alan might as well nix Orsa & Winston since that Italian and Asian mix thing is just so confused!

There is a difference between fusion in one dish that play different ingredients off each other and five different cuisines being on one menu with no cohesion.

i just hope you fellas are drinking Southern Wine & Spirits products at these downtown dinners. Mr. Gonzales needs a new pair of shoes!

I haven’t eaten at Faith and Flower yet. I took a peek in and thought the room and vibe were cool. I actually don’t know that I’d mind a menu that’s a mish-mash of all sorts of cuisines and looking at it the menu doesn’t seem offensive in design to me. But the stuff has to be tasty. I wouldn’t doubt that they are indeed seeing what will stick as Charlie says and the menu will get tweaked. That’s why in general I try to give places a month or two before trying them out. But I doubt that it is ever going to reach (or is even trying to reach) am Orsa and Winston culinary level.

The spot prawns at Water Grill were fantastic btw.

I went to Ink recently and thought the food wasn’t that great. I didn’t care for the potato charcoal, corn, beef tartare, apple, or chocolate. Felt like they tried too hard to spruce up the dishes. The hamachi and egg yolk gnocchi weren’t bad, but nothing amazing. Beautiful restaurant though.

What are your favorites?

The potato charcoal, corn, and beef tartare make a pretty good meal! Everyone likes something different.

I have not been in quite awhile. I went twice and the meal was not great either time. What was wierd was that there were multiple errors each time in seasoning and temperature. One dish the first time was so salty that almost all of the group of 10 winos didn’t finish it. I also thought they had a little bit of attitude, perhaps because we brought wine as we usually do. We were in the private room and one of the group asked late in the night when the place had slowed if Michael might stop at the table. The waiter came back and said he was too busy, but he stood out in the room for 15 minutes chatting with someone and the place was dead by the time we left. I really didn’t care if I met him, but once someone else asked I thought it was kind of a diss to a group having an extensive dinner.

I have to give it a third try as I really do think he is a talented chef.

Anyone else going to Taste of the Nation? We and the Gelbs go every year and the very top end restaurants are under-represented, but there are a lot of good places doing good dishes. It’s my favorite wide-ranging food event of the year.

I agree!

Sorry to hear about that poor experience! I did get an air of pretentiousness, but nothing like you experienced. I agree that Chef Michael is very talented, so I’m a bit perplexed at how nothing on the menu inspired me. That said, hope your third visit is a good one!

As for Taste of the Nation, that sounds awesome! I’ll see if any of my friends are interested. Sounds like something I’d be very into.

Not sure if “new” means new to her or new to the “scene.” I like Bestia, but as mentioned before the noise can definitely be a problem. If you mean new to her, I’m still partial to Lucques, Church and State (noise problem here too), and Providence if she hasn’t been there.

Honorary mention: Animal.

Just because it’s awesome.

Factory Kitchen it is. Thanks all.

2 btl corkage limit just in case you were wondering!

thanks!