La Paulee 2013 NYC Gala Dinner-Lessons Learned

I assume that this is a strictly “for profit” event…not a benefit of some kind?

If so, it really is a misuse of the spirit of the real Meursault Paulee…a communal dinner to celebrate the end of the harvest with winemakers bringing interesting bottles (usually their own domaines’) to share with the meal.

+1

The meursault paulee was created as a marketing event to showcase the region to the press in the 1930s. It has always had a commercial focus.

The Wiki entry says different, though it cites no source: “La Paulée de Meursault is a lunch celebrating the end of the grape harvest in Burgundy, France. Originally, the celebration included only winemakers, cellar workers, and the surrounding community.”

That’s a good question. Eight years ago, nobody paid much mind to the question of empties. In fact, Rudy was there pouring from a Jero of 1979 DRC Richebourg, the only time I ever met him. Nowadays I am sure that with our heightened awareness, those bottles are destroyed, at least I would hope so.

Also, there is a charity element to la Paulee, at least there was when I attended-Meals on Wheels.

When I’m next in front of my notes I’ll cite my source that I feel contradicts this wikipedia author

Did anyone drink any top '05 reds during this event? I’ve been drinking a bunch of my bourgogne recently and have been surprised at how open they are. I would of course expect the bourgognes to be drinking with a much greater openness than the types of wines that I imagine get opened at this event, but I’m hoping someone with recent experience can tell me to not even think about opening any other '05s, not even in the name of science.
A

The first time I heard about the dinner I thought I’d love to attend some day. Then I learned more about it and thought that I’d enjoy it so long as I sat with some friends (physical or virtual) and didn’t have to get up and move around too much. Then I realized I’d rather meet those same friends over a less expensive dinner where my best wines wouldn’t be dumped to get to the other great wines and spend that $1500 on wine.

Some people have a fantastic time but I realized a while ago that I would not be one of them. Still fun to read about though :slight_smile:

After reading this, I am glad that I attended the verticals tasting and not the Gala dinner. That is definitely not my kind of scene. I prefer time with great people and good wines rather than no time with people and great wines.

Well, Berry, if your notes include Parker’s book on Burgundy, they will “say” that this event , started by Dominque Lafon’s grandfather (Comte Lafon), was a communal dinner to celebrate the end of the harvest, after the Hospice de Beaune auction, where producers could invite their best clients,t oo. I doubt whether in the '30s, which is when I think it started, there was any “press” to speak of. Certainly, there was no pay to go spirit there…nor any real competitition to bring the trophiest wines, etc.

Part of its charm has always seemed to be that it by the Meursaltians, for the Meursaultians and mostly “of” the Meursaultians…which made it very authentic and non-commercial in the sense that it was communal. The timing might have had special guests in mind…but certainly no profit motive with the event itself.

First held in 1923, according to this: La Paulée, Oktoberfest for Wine Lovers

the big dinner is not for me. this thread has reinforced it.
I had a pre-Paulee dinner with some locals and some out of towners 10 of us all together with 14 or 15 great wines.

this is a great read. i have stayed away from paulee because i know i would end up leaning on a buddy who knows all the big collectors, and in turn would feel lousy because of it.
thanks for taking one for the team andrew.

Yes…actually, Bob, your wiki article says the same thing.

The Burgundians, IMO, have been very clever marketers, particularly the kind that requires very very little cost to them. The Paulee is one described in your link. (And, that the for-profit US Paulees have been “recognized” by Dominque Lafon and the Meursault organizers is very consistent. )

The most clever marketing job, though, also alluded to, are the dinners at the Clos Vougeot and, indeed, the whole Chevaliers du Tastevin concept. As I understand it, the whole thing was founded by prominent owners (mostly more aristocratic) in the '30s when they couldn’t sell bottles of their wines for anything. The result is that the world is full of people who are, essentially, unpaid chambers of congress, around the world for Burgundy and its wines. Though the members seem to take it a whole lot more seriously than do the “officials” of the Chevaliers, it is, nevertheless, a “serious” part of Burgundy marketing and loyalty. The goal, it seems , is to make every member feel he/she is a very selectively chosen Burgundian and an ambassador for the region. Their Clos Vougeot blowout dinners take on the same sensory overload as the communal meals at the Paulee de Meursault…and seemingly, the American for-profit imitators. And, very few of the industry members are those who ever get dirt under their fingernails. A great experience, too, but not a great way to taste wine or to really appreciate and soak in the essence of the region.

Theater seems to be at the base of all of these events, though the ones in Burgundy have motives other than direct profit.

I suppose the ones in NY/SF do serve a similar purpose, too, to the events in Meursault and Vougeot…they create more and more potential “pilgrams” who are then willing to make the pilgrimage. (And, that’s what the Chevaliers actually call their members who visit the motherland.)

That is what pizza was invented for IMHO.
My friend and I had two of the best slices imaginable as we were walking back hungry to NoMad.
From Two Brothers.
We ate with all the homeless guys that come in to get a slice for a buck.
A slice of cheese and pepperoni/sausage combo. $3 all in for both.
I loved a lot of the food Saturday night but this pizza rocked!

If anyone took any notes either the tasting or the dinner, please post. TIA!

Don,
I hate to say it but I think you are a closet New Yorker.

Don, now I am worried Two Brothers is not anywhere near barely decent pizza. You must have been feeling the good wine feeling.

Suzanne,
After all that wine and small amount of food, it was nirvana. Ready for some good pizza the next time I come up! The pizza in ATL stinks except for just a few places.

This thread reinforces why I love zin, petite sirah, bojo, jura, and barbaresco. And I guess I can ironically add Cotes de Beaune and Chalonnaise.
This thread also reinforces what we all recognize at various times in this hobby but don’t like to dwell upon-it is hardly democatic. Francois Andouze used to remind me of this regularly. Same with that guy who always sucked up to Parker and was regularly putting up French Chateau owners in his lovely LA digs. Jeff something. I honestly forget and am happy to have forgotten.
Back in the days of our participation on the Squires board, many of us (me, myself, and I for three) thought we were equals of the great Wine Advocate-the Man who claimed he was looking after the interest of the common man-and we could even exchange thoughts with this man and criticise him on his own Board as if he were an equal. We forgot. He was no equal. And in the end-analysis, it is just this sort of inequality that creates the likes of Hardy Rodenstock and Rudy Kurniawan, two mental defectives who decided that belonging to the inner circle was so absolutely essential that it was worth defrauding their way in. A frigging metaphor for life.