Know your Bottle Size & Name

Sorry, I meant on the chart I posted.

I thought ‘split’ more commonly referred to a 187ml quarter bottle?

Growing up, my folks owned a liquor store in LA. This is the way I was taught it.

I have also seen 730ml or 73cl on labels though this may only refer to the fill and not the bottle.

A standard bottle is filled with 750mL of liquid. The actual volume it could hold is closer to 800mL.

I’ve also seen old German bottles with this volume listed.

720ml or 730ml was the standard bottle size in Europe up until the 1970s or so.

I’ve seen 700ml, 710ml, 720ml, 730ml, 735ml and 740ml for some older bottles.

I probably should have said “non-standard bottle size”. It was mostly 720 in Piedmont, but varied all over.

Theres an easy way to remember these. Michael Jackson Really Made Small Boys Nervous

“[rofl.gif]”

You forgot one. “[thumbs-up.gif]”

Wine 101 Berserker style! “[rofl.gif]”

Shoot, forgot another one.

Make it +3. 375s are half-bottles and 187s are splits. There are splits in the mini bar of my hotel room right now. Observe: Split: Laurent Perrier Products - NapaCabs … -P355.aspx Half: Laurent Perrier Products - NapaCabs … -P354.aspx

Yeh, most common to me is 187=split and 375= half Though I’ve also seen a 375 called a split once or twice.

My twins? “[shrug.gif]”

And one more way to look at it: Half Bottle: 375 milliliters Standard Bottle: (standard size) 750 milliliters Magnum: 1.5 liters or the equivalent of two standard bottles. Double Magnum: 3liters, or the equivalent of four standard bottles Jeroboam: 4.5 liters, or the equivalent of six standard bottles (Note: in the case of sparkling wine, a jeroboam will contain 3 liters, or the equivalent of four standard bottles.) Rehoboam: Same as Jeroboam, but a different bottle shape. Imperial: 6liters, or the equivalent of eight standard bottles. Methuselah: Same as Imperial, but a different bottle shape. Salmanazar: 9liters, or the equivalent of twelve bottles Nebuchadnezzar: 12 to16 liters (varies,) or the equivalent of fourteen to twenty standard bottles. Melchior: 18 liters, or the equivalent of twenty- four standard bottles. Case: 12 standard bottles (bottles must be from a single winery, but may be mixed in vintage year and varietals) Magnum Case: 6magnums (nine liters) or the equivalent of twelve standard bottles. Barrel: 180 liters, or the equivalent of 240 standard bottles (20 cases.)

I heard European legislation changed somewhere along the line. 75cl was always the intended volume, but it used to be the case that that the actual volume could never be less than the volume on the label, so producers used a lower number on the label to make sure they were legal. Now, legally, the volume on the label is the average volume in a bottle. There must also be some maximum allowable variation, but with automatic bottling lines volumes are presumably pretty accurate these days. Not 100% sure about all that - I emphasise the “I heard” bit. But now you have read it on the internet, so it must be pretty close to being a fact now :slight_smile:

30 ml is a “Nip.” And one-twentieth of a pack of smokes is a “Loosie.” (Often sold together.) I always wondered what 500 ml was called.

One of the left is a standard size bottle.