Kirkland?

Well I bought a 2012 Kirkland Oregon/Willamette Valley pinot figuring it to be a good wine given the vintage - it was meh.
Simple and uninteresting, and frankly, not worth the $19.

The Kirkland 10 Year Tawny Port is made by Fonseca (The Fladgate Partnership). And while not the exact same blend as the actual Fonseca 10 year tawny, it’s a pretty darn good deal on a young Tawny Port.

Not Kirkland…but…
The fact they even sell this is great!
image.jpg

I’ve noticed a fair amount of 2011 Burgundies in Costcos. A vintage supply/demand issue?

I saw Screaming Eagle at mine today but only 1 bottle.

Plenty of supply, lack of demand = Costco.

didn’t thrill me either [bleh.gif]

A while back Consumer reports reviewed Warehouse store brands, They recommended the following Kirkland products:
Signature Bacon
Super premium vanilla ice cream
Organic Chicken stock
Maple Syrup
Toscano extra virgin olive oil
Real mayonnaise
Fresh & Clear Liquid Laundry Detergent Dishwasher pacs
Big Roll paper towels.

Fresh & Clear Liquid Laundry Detergent Dishwasher pacs
Big Roll paper towels.
We are a little short on TP as well! [snort.gif]

I had a cold 2014 Kirkland Pinot Grigio [Friuli] tonight, on a hot night, with some sauteed cod.

It basically tasted like cold water. Maybe a C as a grade. The description on the back of the bottle - apples, pears, blah blah – was pretty bizarre given how totally innocuous this was. Maybe there is a random label generator they use or something.

For the price, I’m not expecting much but this was underwhelming even for low expectations.

At least it was cold.

I do follwo Consumer Reports for electronics and some other things but I think the reports on Wine and Food are laughable. Not a good fit, and can anyone point to a track record?

My local Costco has the best general selection in the county, but they never have Burgundies (except for William Fevre village). Heck, the self-appointed wine salesman told me to focus on Bordeaux instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

The canned tuna is better than the leading brands. Wine? They sell it so I can cook with it, right?

Love the premium vanilla ice cream and maple syrup.

Chris, I agree with you. Maybe it makes me a bit of a label snob, but I would rather know more about what I am buying. I also tend to drink wines from smaller producers, with some exceptions, where I might know or learn a little about the family, history, story, etc. The Kirkland wines just don’t provide much interest to me.

A +1 on the 2012 Kirkland Signature Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - I bought one to try and have gone back for 2 more. I served it blind and most of the guesses were Burgundy. Note that no one pegged it for a high-end Burg. As Mark said it has nice acidity on the finish. A good buy under $20 and probably better than many sub $20 Pinots.

A report on bottle #2 of the Willamette Valley Pinot - it didn’t seem like the same wine. It was lacking about everything so I corked it up to check on it the next day. It was still bleh the next day and not worth the calories. Who knows what bottle #3 will bring?

I tried the Kirkland Signature Pinot Noir Willamette based on based on comments here. Neither my wife nor I liked it at all. We ended up dumping it. We bought a bottle of the RRV Pinot while we were at it, but I haven’t been brave enough to open it yet.

Picked up a bottle of Kirkland London Dry Gin, which was $2 less than Tanqueray. Trying it on the rocks to get the full experience. Hmmm, not bad but the botanicals taste like bitters.

There’s a Kirkland olive oil which I can’t recall the name of which is excellent. Maple syrup is good too for the value.
Have bought a decent kirkland Balsamic vinegar as well. Just wish they stocked wine in our Costco’s.

image.jpg
Kirkland makes really expensive lunch bags.