KELLER - barrel tasting vintage 2023

Great notes! I just bought a case of the ‘22 Frauenberg (FR) Rose. Does anyone know the story behind these? Have they replanted part of the vineyard?

I haven’t booked my flight yet but I’m supposed to be out that way again in late May. Going to have to email KPK to see if he can host me. :pray:t3:

………

Naturally that starts 1 day after I was going to leave…but since I haven’t locked in my flight I may see if I can change that. Danke!

One bottle was included in the Keller XMas box, I didn’t know it was being offered casewise. Same juice as the GG, raised in small barrels, “noble and complex”.

The Norwegian importer got their hands on a few cases - don’t know if it’s going out anywhere else.

Wonder if they’ve decided to make a different rose now that the Morstein juice is going into the red. By same juice do you mean it’s saignée?

Those Norwegians lover their Keller! Is that Liz??

1 Like

It only says it’s from the same fruit as the GG; for more details you have to inquire at the source!

I must have a couple Roses (2017?) left. I found them young not so distinctive, maybe it’s time to revisit.

1 Like

I’ve had a few of the Morstein (M) roses from 20 and 21. Significantly better than the generic Spätburgunder Rose. A bit young but quite excellent. Think I have a few bottles of 20 left and made a note to leave them til their tenth birthday before revisiting.

1 Like

P.S.

G-Max vertical 1999-2022 by Stuart Pigott/J.Suckling incl. detailed TNs for subscribers.

1 Like

@Martin_Zwick did you attend? Is this the tasting you where looking for the 01?

@Robert_Dentice

No, I am not a friend of the publisher who arranged the tasting. In addition such a high-level tasting is above my security clearance.

More info regarding the vintage 2023 by Julia Harding/J. Robinson. Only scores, as I am not a subscriber.

Schubertslay 19 /20
Morstein 18,5 /20
Pettenthal 18,5 /20
Abtserde 18 /20
Kirchspiel 18 /20

von der Fels 17 /20 „Full of joie de vivre“ and BestBuy

Looks like 23 is a dry wine year! Am I cool with that as I bought enough 2021 Kabinetts to last 5 lifetimes.

1 Like

@Robert_Dentice

You was such interested regarding the Reds. Here are the scores by Stuart Pigott via James Suckling.

Schwarzen Herrgott 99/100

Morstein 98/100

Frauenberg 97/100

A good friend send me the Julia Harding article regarding 2023 Keller, as I am not a subscriber. I have to say a very very good report from her via the Jancis Robinson website. :clap:

I will quote one TN, as the „von der Fels“ is relatively easy available and for 25€ a remarkable value.

Keller, Von der Fels Riesling trocken 2023

The dry counterpart to Limestone Kabinett, which was made in much smaller quantities this year. Today the vines are more than 30 years old – this is no longer the home of the younger vines, which is once was. TA 7.8 g/l

Remarkably creamy citrus and ripe green fruits, even a touch of preserved green !g. The initial gentleness becomes more piercing with air. On the palate, bright, driving freshness clothed in sweet citrus (though the wine is dry). This has depth and richness, balanced by extreme freshness all the way through the core of the wine. A baby with great potential and full of joie de vivre. (The 2007 was still showing well in early 2024.) GV (JH) 12%
Drink 2025 – 2035

17/20

DANKE Robert

P.S. as I mentioned in my impressions the vdF is hugely dominated by KIRCHSPIEL (70%)

5 Likes

It is excellent, on release more enjoyable than recent predecessors

3 Likes

I must have mentioned it somewhere around here she’s very very good, for assessment and thoughtfulness one of the best out there if not the best.

For Suckling, a good or great score? :joy:

2 Likes

Fair argument, the inflation of scores is a disease. On the other hand Stuart Pigott is an respected taster/source for Riesling/Spätburgunder.

1 Like

While written a bit playful, I intentionally left out Stuart’s name just because of that. Though I have not read much of his note and have no clue about his scoring approach, though I assume Suckling’s inflated scale must be applied. So I’m still not sure what meaning to put on it, however I’m not surprised if the wines would be great of course.