I've Never Had A Sine Qua Non Wine.......

Has anyone compared a SQN to a Cayuse? Both Cult Syrah producers, one CA, one WA … Yes, I am sure they are very different, just don’t in what way. I’ve had many Cayuse, but yet to try a SQN.

I buy both. I do not consider them to be similar. Hard to describe why. I think the Cayuse is more rustic and earthy while the Syrah and Grenache SQNs are more fruit driven and, IMO, elegant. Both have their place. PS - I recent got my first order of Bionic Frog but I have not opened a bottle yet, so I express no opinion on that.

I reckon Duck Muck Shiraz is a better match than Mollydooker against SQN. http://www.wildduckcreekestate.com.au/wine/duck-muck/ not sure if you’d ever get it in the US, hard enough to get here. It has the power but also has the balance.

Couldn’t you say the exact same thing about any other expensive, highly regarded wine? There are inexpensive wines made from the same varietals and in the same general style as the ones that make up DRC, Haut Brion, Krug, Grange, Leflaive, Screaming Eagle, Giacosa, Vega Sicilia, et al.

“I’ve never had a Dujac wine. And probably never will. I find it remarkable the way that these wines are coveted and wonder how they differ stylisticly from Oregon wines made from the same varieties that are available at a fraction of the cost. Are Dujac wines that would make Erath proud?”

First bottle, the 2001 Midnight Oil if I recall struck me (and several other knowledgeable tasters) as resembling motor oil that had been used about 10,000 miles too long. Thick, leaden, far from the “light on its feet” description provided by Parker. A second bottle of some younger SQN (2004 or 2005?) was much livelier and I could start to see the wine making skill there. Still not exactly my style with its level of extraction, at least with the later bottle I could see both the layering and its depth.

Ahh, Dujac wines are an experience, some would say otherwordly. I recommend squeezing into some tasting where it is being poured. Or visit the Domaine and you can probably taste for free if you are lucky…

I buy both as well. I find Cayuse to be more savory in nature. A pleasant note of roasted bell pepper always there. I also find them warmer for lack of a better term and I don’t mean alcoholic hot but wines that I want to drink in colder weather.
I find SQNs to be far more about the fruit if you will. SQNs also develop a BBQ/slim Jim note with some age that I crave and cayuse has never shown me.
Love them both but find them worlds apart.

That has been my experience with SQN–otherworldly.

I was surprised the first time I tasted a SQN wine because I was expecting something like the big Aussie wines, and instead found something completely different. Lots of fruit? Yes. Californian? Sure. “Big”? This is where it got (and remains) interesting. I think they are actually graceful, and incredibly light. Not thin, not simple, but rather all of the intensity and flavor and richness and depth that is possible to, uh, squeeze from a grape yet remaining ethereal and almost weightless at the same time. I expected to have an experience that others might characterize as ponderous, or thick, or gooey, or syrupy–something like a Mollydooker (no judgment intended on my part, those are fun wines, yet I find them to be pretty heavy). Instead it was as if all the flavor was there with none of the heaviness. None of the weight, yet all of the impact.

Totally understand that not everybody finds them to be this way–and not trying to claim that everybody (or anybody) should. But I’ve yet to find wines that offer the flavors, depth, intensity and “lightness of being”. I did find the comment about the Midnight Oil surprising–perhaps the bottle was cooked. Or maybe it was pristine and you just didn’t like it. Only wish I could have saved you from drinking it :slight_smile:

I concur :slight_smile: I respect Christophe and know he makes outstanding, well-made wines, but I’m the odd man out in terms of personal preference because the ones I’ve had don’t work for my palate. I actually don’t know why they don’t work for me–too many people I know and with whom my palate aligns like Cayuse, so there’s just something weird about me in this case…

Based on the later bottle, where as I said, it showed as much more lively and perhaps even “light on its feet” (especially given its level of extraction and richness), I suspect the 2001 Midnight Oil was compromised. Not cooked, since typically that shows as a distinctive oxidative note, but perhaps even corked (although usually I can spot TCA at pretty low levels). Anyway, a compromised wine, in contrast to the second bottle…

+1

[cheers.gif]

Thank you for this thread!

I never suspected I belonged to a thing called the AFWE.

Do I get a badge or a leftward turning corkscrew?