It's Time To Smoke A Brisket!!!

Peter, I’m going for when the toothpick slides in easily, but if I were going for temp it would be around 195-205. I may raise the heat in the oven to 225 shortly. I’m debating, but I have lots of time left.

Yep, 200 is nice!!!
I’m running now on oak charcoal, no more wood. About 230 degrees. Got 4 hours left and about 20 degrees to go. Should just about be perfect!
I’m 23 hours in and it Looks like 27-28 hours is gonna nail it.

Just took my critter’s temperature because the point seemed to be tender but the flat seemed a bit tough using the toothpick test. It’s 160 in the flat which explains it, so I’ve got the oven cranked up to 225 and may go to 250, which is the temperature my personal BBQ God, Rodney Muirhead, uses in his giant offset smoker at his “Q” restaurant. I still have lots of time - at least five hours if I’m going to Gig Harbor for the crab fest. The thing smells delicious.

I’m still on the fence, Phil.

I’m 175 in the flat with 2 hours to go. I’m cranking up to 250 for the final 2 hours. Go, baby! Go!!!

Hit 200 degrees about 20 minutes ago. Here it is, ready to be wrapped and stuck in the cooler.

Bob, looks spot on. I broke down and got a ten pounder today to do tomorrow for the wife and kids. Will do a four hour smoke outside and then come on in to the conditioned air to finish…screw 101 deg F and the Weber.

The finished product. Perfectly tender and moist, and this was the very end of the flat, the worst part of the brisket.

Mine just went on. A wee lad at only 10 lbs.

Here’s mine - not as much color on it, but it ate real good

I never took the temp - didn’t need to. After 15+ hours in the oven, I could just tell it was ready.
It was tender as could be, but not falling apart - the slices held together nicely.

Brisket is where it’s at.

I’ll vouch fer that! It was juicy and flavorfull! Really good!

What were you saying about trying to do beef ribs somewhat similarly? flirtysmile

You invited Peter over? You guys down there have all the fun. [thumbs-up.gif]

Today’s lunch.

And your eating beef…because?

I’ll have a slice…the rest for family.

I threw the slices of brisket John Tomasso gave us Saturday when we left on the grill tonight. Then diced it up along with sweet onion, fresh cilantro and chile verde all on warm corn tortillas. The delicious smoked flavor came through for some of the best tacos I’ve had in a while. Thanks JT.

Just an update. Mine came out perfect, the guests couldn’t stop stuffing their faces!!!
But I love the idea of doing 4-6 hours on the smoker and then finishing in the oven. Gonna do that next time and save the hassle of getting up all night.

So, start at 5-6pm, do 4-6 hours on the smoker, then stick it in the oven for a loooong time at 200 degrees. That’s my play!

Peter, yeah, 4 hours ought to do it, but no heat, only smoke.
Then an hour per lb at 200F and you’re there. No wrapping.

Enjoy the sleep, and eat well.

Sorry for the crappy picture. Too lazy to get out the actual camera. Going on right now for about 5 hours, then into the oven.

Do you use foil at all, or just leave it uncovered?

How much did that weigh, Bob?