It's OMV Day! TN: 2013 Scherrer Zinfandel "OMV", Alexander Valley

Tasted the OMV and Shale Terrace last weekend at the pickup, very nice, it really reminded me to spring for the futures case next time. Fred’s a great, humble guy in the few brief conversations I’ve had with him.

2008 is a serious wine and is drinking great now! There is a flavor profile I couldn’t quite figure out, but Fred calls it mincemeat, and I can see that. I like these wines best with some age on them. A 1995 about 3 or 4 years ago was fascinating.

Now, two years later with a 2-hour decant, the wine can be approached but the 12 is still tight upon uncorking. Got 11 left and will check in again down the road a piece.

IMHO both the OMV and Shale Terrace need aging…I find the Shale Terrace a bit lighter and probably earlier drinking than the OMV…If I had to pick just one…and there really is no need to do so…wd go with the OMV, very serious wine…Am still working my way through the 09 OMV

Bit of thread drift here but just say thank you to Mike Dildine for introducing me to a number of wines in the past , especially Bedrock…thx, Mike

It’s so hard to hold off on these wines, but I’ve been sitting on a few of each year, and it really does make such a difference. Scherrer zin is the best.

Cracked my case of 13 Shale Terrace last night with traditional spaghetti & meat sauce.

This wine would destroy me in a blind tasting, I’d never get away from the idea it’s some kind of lovely Bordeaux blend with more than smidgen of PV or Malbec in there.

Wine demonstrates fantastic balance now, I’ll have another bottle before 2020 ends.

1 Like