Is Barolo Destined To Become A Baller Wine?

Perhaps, but surely they also want to be seen drinking what is commonly accepted as ‘the best’?

If a Baller drinks a 2010 Screaming Eagle, he says “tasty”
If a Baller drinks a 2010 Conterno ‘CF’, he says “Acid and Tannin Hurt!!! Ouch!!!”

Young Conterno might be tough to sell to Ballers. The drinking is not fun.

On the other hand, it’s all how it’s sold. Young Conterno might be like Pappy Van W!

And Pappy is the #1 Baller Juice…

If they actually pop some corks, I’d say the answer is no.

Clearly it’s “ballerini” or “ballereschi.” Bill, you decide.

Actually, “giocatore di palla” in Italian, which is why there are no ballers here. Has a terrible ring to it. In the Piemonte, where French is spoken by many, one might prefer “balleur”…

But the Baller will add coke to the Conterno to improve its immediate drinkability. Seen that with Bordeaux.

I prefer…montato. [snort.gif]

Oh, my! I am…BLUSHING! Do you prefer it with…panna montata?

It’s an idiom for bigheaded,full of himself,arrogant…you get the picture. :wink:

I don’t follow Napa that much, but I bet that there are huge wineries in Napa making inexpensive wines whose quantities dwarf the stuff you are chasing after and drive the average price down.

If Barolo is destined to become a baller wine, I think that I just accidentally discovered the ULTIMATE baller wine, the one that will eclipse worthless bottles of SQN rose at auction, the Holy Grail incarnate. This parenthetical is from Steve Tanzer’s tasting note on the 2005 Giacosa Le Rocche white label:

“(Incidentally, Giacosa showed me a sample of his 2006 Rocche from barrel, which he planned to sell off-although he did note that he’d keep some magnums to follow. The wine was bigger than the 2005 but less refined and perfumed, and seemed a bit disjointed owing to strong acidity and somewhat tough tannins. While the 2005 got better and more minerally with aeration, the 2006 remained a bit undifferentiated by comparison.)”

Seems a bit masochistic to me. Suppose he finds that with time in the bottle they begin to show beautifully? Seems like a possibility considering the strength of the vintage.

I’m not equipped to deal with the destiny part of the question and Barolo is too general.

There is baller Barolo, but you have to be baller enough to either age these special bottles for 20+ years until it becomes baller or buy bottles of Barolo that have been aged to full-on baller status. Of course, this may only raise you to baller status among those who understand Barolo, but if a tree falls in the forest and only person hears it…

Or, put another way, Baller is in the palate of the beholder.

It’s also relative.

For example, if you throw an off-line around a vertical of well-aged Monfortino or Giacosa Red Labels, I think it’s pretty safe to say it’s going to be a Baller event attended by a group of Ballers.

The question might be begged, though, is this really what you want to do with your well-aged, patient and lovingly stored Monfortino or Giacosa red label?

You have to ask yourself whether you really aspire to baller status?

Remember what Mr. Limpet taught us; be careful what you wish…

I would probably not be bringing my well aged, patient and lovingly stored Monfortino or Giacosa red label to a big gathering to be diluted by a palate numbing evening of similar red wine.

I’d more likely have plans to share it with a few special people over a meal designed to feature and help the wine perform to its full capability.

But, that’s just me.

However, if you want to throw an evening like that and invite me to attend, I’d be more than happy to show up and sample them all. If you want to throw an evening like that and write up the notes, I’d be happy to read them.