Interesting Vineyard Development At Sea Smoke Vineyards (Photos)

Is anybody working with Melon? Foundation Plant Services had like six strains, and added an seventh strain [09.10.1] recently.

Also, if Eric Texier is ever in town, I’d strongly urge y’all to take him up there in the hills and give you some pointers.

I tried to write up what he told me about the soil from which Opale is made:

But the dude talks at like 110 MPH and some of that could be wrong.

Jamie, I think its time we catch up over some of your Pinot and chat a little.

I saw that the other day. My question to those who know that stretch of land well is… that is east of Sea Smoke’s most easterly vines. I see on the website “Everyvine” that the degree days for Sea Smoke are 2700, vs Peter’s vineyard, at 2500. That feels right for me when I was in that area with Joe Davis ten years ago. I wonder if that section for sale would be a little warm for SRH? Might it be even above 2750 degree days there?

I would be interested to hear the answer to this as well. The next vineyards further east include Ampelos (although that is the section just east of Mail Road, back up in that valley that leads back towards Hwy 246) and Lafond. Not too familiar with Lafond’s wines and Ampelos is probably in a different micro-climate given where it is in relation to this parcel. When I walked the property about 3 or 4 years ago with a veteran winemaker from that area he thought the property was in a particular sweet spot but that at the price per plantable acre it was too expensive. The price has actually risen quite a bit since then.