Indian food @ home, who's got it down?

I love Indian food. Think it’s one of my favorite cuisines, actually. The best local place, and only a couple miles from my house, is owned by a Doctor. We’ve talked before about her actively decreasing the amounts of butter and cream in her dishes (all of which come from her family recipes, btw). Not sure how she does it, but even her Tikka Masala is amazingly delicious without being over-the-top rich.

maybe she doesn’t consider ghee “butter”…?

Butter and cream are much more common in the West (I include Ghee) than the East.

That doesn’t surprise me at all. I have a couple of cookbooks by Anupy Singla who was born in India but raised in the US. She said the first time she and her parents went to an Indian restaurant in the US, they were shocked at how rich and full of butter/cream the US version were compared to what they ate in India.

Do you cook with/consume butter/ghee/cream?

Nope.

This guy has got it down:

I first started following this blog when I was more into Scotch/whisk(e)y, but what intrigues me most now is his writing on food, especially Indian cooking. For those of us in the LA area, he always visits the city frequently and often posts interesting restaurant reviews, especially of places in the SGV. You can quibble that some of his recipes are quite complicated, with all of the Indian spices and need for mortar/pestle/household deodorizer after toasting spices :stuck_out_tongue:, but it looks like the real deal

I made my semi annual Biryani today, this time cauliflower with a mushroom side curry. Each time I’m reminded that it’s really quite a lot of effort to do it properly. But worth it.

I made my own tandoor from parts from HD. Works well. 700 degrees in about 15 minutes:

http://bhubbardmd.smugmug.com/Food/Tandoor/20725963_qs2LzT#1644623640_KCmL8S4

After reading this thread again, I went out for chole bhature for lunch

Don’t lie, you were fantasing about Padma Lakshmi. :slight_smile:

though I hadn’t known the term…making chana masala , with dried chickpeas, is really easy with those Shan masala packs they sell in Indian markets.

Can’t say I’m surprised. It seems a fairly simple, albeit hearty and delicious, dish. Think the fry bread is what would make it tricky for someone like me