In defense of the Budweiser Ad

I miss Stroh’s

I’ve never understood why no major US brewer won’t produce a lager as good as Singha, Harp, or Pilsner Urquell. Proof is right there that mass produced beer can be tasty. Obviously AB In-Bev is interested only in maximizing shareholder return, but they are not the only large brewer. (yet).

P Hickner

What is the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale of lagers? Probably Sam Adams? any others? It would be nice to have that affordable, easy-to-find, solid lager avail. in the States, but I’m having hard time thinking of what those options may be.

Browsing through Beer Advocate, there are no good candidates. Longboard Island Lager from Kona has a decent number of review (I’m going by # of reviews only, not paying much attention to score). Brooklyn Lager is in a similar situation. Sam Boston Lager has a huge number of reviews, but a Vienna Lager is different enough from an AAL such as to be meaningless, IMO. A decent compromise might be Sam Noble Pils or SN Summerfest, with my completely arbitrary ruling being that Pilsners ARE close enough to AAL to warrant comparison.

Hold on to your hat boys -

YOERG SAINT PAUL LAGER is coming out this summer, and it’s one of the most serious American lagers you will ever taste. Vienna Lager styled, with a little more roasty/toastyness to it. I have been working on this project for three years, and we will finally have beer out in June - cans soon after.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Devil’s Backbone out of VA makes some of the best lagers in the country. There’s a reason they won “Best Small Brewery” then “Best Medium Sized Brewery” in back to back years at GABF. With that said, lagers are generally boring and uninspiring IMO which is why we don’t make 'em.

Well Justin, hopefully you won’t get the Cascadian Dark Lager, dry-hopped with Mosaic and Meridian hops that we brewed yesterday with Pelican and Buoy in your goody bag when you come to the CBC.

Think I’ve had a Bud once…and never again - though that can be said for all the major domestics, haven’t had one since I turned legal age! If I’m reaching for something cold, light and easy drinking its Heineken, Carib or Medalla…unfortunately the latter 2 which are my favourite are also near impossible to find out here.

It’s inexperienced, moronic statements like this that keeps the American craft brewing movement in amateurville.

For those interested: Heater-Allen has about 7 different beer for sale through K&L, Redwood City.

I’ll pick up a few myself, but am a little worried that all of the notes mention generous helpings of malt.

[drinks.gif]

the beechwood chips have been thoroughly bleached out by chemical processes to remove any flavor impact. they are there simply to help the yeast and sediment settle - arguably, as rick says, because they don’t cold condition the beer for very long, the way a proper lager should.

Since this thread has been resurrected I would just like it to be known that it was wrong and I am stupid and I do feel badly about it. Thanks.