I knew there was another reason I didn't like Total Wine

Must agree with the general TW&M aversion – and the problem with the ads. As a former/recovering ITB retailer, claims of “always the lowest price” drive me nuts when I see some of the mark-ups. Then again, I wish I had been better at realizing the extra margin when possible. Sophisticated buyers using the Internet make it very tough. Funny thing is, I’m sitting in Orlando at a conference wondering where I can find a decent bottle or tow… and I shamefully eyed a hotel guest’s TW&M bag wondering how close the store was. I suck…

+1

So Alan you already know much/all about Burgundy so not sure why you are asking clerks for help. :slight_smile:
For all others: they have a free-for-the-taking “Guide To Wine” (440 pages) very well organized with blurbs on regions/districts and tasting notes from their buyers. Great for exploring new wines…

Paul

One of my early visits:
Was asked if I needed help in the Rhone isle. I mentioned I was curious about a 2011 Morgon Beaujolais (oh well, I don’t remember why). When I mentioned that I only saw other vintages, I was told, “vintages don’t matter!” I think that should be their motto.

Paul–I was asking where the Burgundy section was in the store, not for purchasing advice!

If that was Salvestrin’s Cult blend that the Total guy was pushing, that actually fairly decent. It’s a nonvintage blend from Rich Salvestrin’s St. Helena estate and other vineyards. While it probably doesn’t have any Beckstoffer Crane fruit in it, its still a pretty tasty Cab blend for around $25 bucks.

Wow, that’s kind of pricey for a NV. Not sure if would trust any of their recommendations, but that’s just me.

Total Wine came to Minnesota in the last year. Here is a recent story about how the MN Municipal Beverage Association sent out a newsletter on how to beat Total Wine on their most profitable items. Page #2 includes the whole newsletter. Pretty interesting to the layman like me. http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2015/04/total_wine_says_city_liquor_stores_playbook_on_beating_them_is_collusion.php

Cellars Wines & Spirits were able to get a couple cases each of some of the “exclusives” being cleared for Total Wine by a local wholesaler (pretty sure it was Southern or Johnson Bros) and then ran an ad with cheaper prices than Total Wine.

And frankly, I thought it was just a total “chickensh*t” move by Cellars Wines & Spirits to do it. They have NO idea how many customers they are sending over there just by mentioning them. There are a million good wines out there being directly imported by very good local, Minnesota importers (that Total Wine is not carrying), no reason in the world to stoop that low. Why not just promote brands you can have a future with?