I am officially bored -or- The Metamorphosis of Mike

When I saw you said you were bored with older Cabs, I immediately thought cabs from the 80s and 90s. I should have known better. [basic-smile.gif] [oops.gif]

Totally funny!

champagne.gif

Just skip the California Pinot and use the money to go straight to Burgundy. It will save you a second set of transition costs.

Or, buy 74 Sterling, 91 Monte Bello, 78 Diamond Creek and other OLDER California Cabernet classics and see whether it is California Cabernet that bores you or just the ones you have gotten.

Try stuff that is completely different- Tempranillo from Spain, Mouvedre, whatever. All kinds of good stuff out there.

Nice. champagne.gif

This was roughly my question as well. Have you tried older vintages of California cabs that have great aging track records, like Ridge, Dunn, Montelena, Mayacamas, Mondavi Reserve, BV George, Mount Eden, Stag’s Leap and others, and found that you didn’t like those? Or are you just finding that the cabs you’re buying become less interesting around the 6 year mark from the vintage date? Those are two completely different things.

Mike,
I hear you… I have amassed a large Cali Cab collection of around 1000 bottles. I now find myself staring at my bottles and wondering how I got here. Trust me, I thoroughly enjoy Cab, but have found it interesting how my journey has progressed. I begun as a Zin groupie with large amounts of Turley and Rafanelli. Then one day, I was bored… Off to Cab land.
I have always enjoyed Pinot, but only bought in small batches. I have also begun my journey into Pinot world. As a matter of fact, we have traveled to Napa this time of year for 15 years. We decided that we will explore Pinot and are headed to Santa Barbara to write our “Sideways” story.

I keep finding new wines that I adore, but then go back and still love the oldies but goodies. The amazing diversity is fun.

If you’re diving deep into Pinot, here’s my reco for starting point: 2008 Rhys Alpine. Available at KL right now for $100 retail. On the steeper side, but WTH.

Or you could just go straight to Burgundy. Would save on storage costs – you could easily convert your 122 cabs into a dozen or so beautiful burgs.

I have had my fair fill of old cabs. I was drinking Mondavi reserves from the mid 70s well into the late 90s. They were interesting for sure but I want mesmerizing at this time of my life and in no way does old wine ever mesmerize me.
Thanks for the good advice given here. I had some interesting offers on trades I will act on. As said elsewhere, I will tread slow and careful this time around. I don’t want to dive into anything.

Interesting. For me, very, very few young wines mesmerize me. For me, there is nothing like a well aged wine.

For, why buy more wines than you consume in a year or so. If you like them young, why have a cellar

Good point, Howard. I guess I use my 3 cellars more of a resting place where they are protected from heat and can be pulled out as the need be. It’s more of a gathering than cellar PLUS I don’t really but very much retail, although now with Pinot as my mistress I may once again.

Mike, If you’re looking for well-made Cali Pinot done in a riper style, I would check out Walter Hansel’s North Slope Vineyard bottling. This was one of several wines Brian had recommended for the 4th of July tasting. I found the '11 to be quite enjoyable.
[cheers.gif]
image.jpg

Thanks, Mark. Strangely and against popular belief due to my reputation I guess, all wrong I might add, is I find I lean toward the finer more delicate style of Pinot. I had an unnamed bottle a few months ago that was wicked ripe and wicked undrinkable. The Littorais I had last month fit the bill superbly as did the one I noted right here on earlier today (2012 Go Figure Lot 24).

Mike,
I’d suggest going on a 3 week drinking hiatus.

I guess I could start tomorrow after I drink that 2012 GoFigure Carneros tonight.
Then dinner on Thursday…then…
Oh, forget it…

Why 3 weeks?

Try some Kutch, or Stephen Ross Bien Nacido, then a Loring or Kosta Browne to move across the spectrum. Then try a Pinot from Oregon and then you will have a good but small sample for new world Pinot. Burgs are another matter.

Because 4 weeks would make you [suicide.gif] [suicide.gif] [pillow-fight.gif]

That’s funny.

Update.
Since this posting I have had a few great trades completed. I have one in motion right now and one left to complete. I have expanded my knowledge of Pinot and am learning of what a big world is yet ahead of me. I have zeroed down to a few stylistic preferences. Thank you to all that reached out and sent some great stuff. I am now a big fan of Littorai (Anderson) and Sandler (Bien Nacido, Boer). I am working on some various Sta. Rits Hills at the moment. Early results are promising. :slight_smile:
I now own 59 bottles of Pinot, where above I had 28, and I have 107 pre-2008 Cabs in place of the 122 mentioned above. Not a great reduction, but still working at it.
I own 4 different sets Burgundy/Pinot Noir glassware and I am pouring August West for Ed and Pinot Days NYC next month. Hows that for diving in?
Awesome stuff, it all. [cheers.gif]

All roads lead to Burgundy. It takes some a little longer to get there.