Huge Prices at Roy Welland auction: press release

I actually thought there were several reasonable values to be had if you avoided the top top names. I bought Lafon meursault genevrieres mixed lot for $156/btl (including vig) 93 Faiveley Mazis for $156/btl, 85&90 Faiveley clos des cortons $168/btl, mags of 03 clos des lambrays for $180 all in…not sure how lambrays was in 03 but for $180/mag all in I thought it was worth a throw.

There was mixed lot of 17btls of 63&70 vintage port(may have had some other vintages as well) that went for a hammer of $1,200. -You can’t say that isn’t cheap.

Other prices I thought were reasonable (hammer price):
07 Fevre les clos $800/case
05 Faiveley gevrey combe aux moines $550/case
04 Faiveley corton charlie $1300/case
04 Grivot Richebourg $2,200/case (not sure how this was in 04)

I was shocked by the strength of Engel though.

-paul

For my palate, I would not touch the 04s but… The 98 Grivot was priced fairly as well as the 05 Faiveley Combe Aus Moines.

Paul…I love CdLambrays in 2003.

Wish I bought more… [head-bang.gif]

I bought this for $1500 + vig. I will be tasting the 1996 soon to see if this is the good one or the mediocre version.

1 Clos de la Roche Cuvee Vieilles Vignes Domaine Ponsot 1979 - 0.75
2 Clos de la Roche Cuvee Vieilles Vignes Domaine Ponsot 1986 - 0.75
1 Clos de la Roche Cuvee Vieilles Vignes Domaine Ponsot 1992 - 0.75
5 Clos de la Roche Cuvee Vieilles Vignes Domaine Ponsot 1996 - 0.75
1 Clos de la Roche Cuvee Vieilles Vignes Domaine Ponsot 2002 - 0.75

I have 2 bottles of that '96. Last had it 3 years ago & decided to hold it until year 20. Not that the acidity was out of balance, but it was closed. It did open up a little in the decanter, so I felt good about how it might turn out.

As long as the Fed keeps pumping all that fake money into the system.

Bouchard bottled a La Romanee in 2005 as well. I seem to remember there was an agreement between Bouchard and LB where one of them made the wine but they each bottled under their own label, so some were marketed as Bouchard and some as LB, but they in essence are the same wine. Is this true? Does the 2005 Bouchard trade for the same price as the 2005 LB?

Larry

Larry,

http://www.clive-coates.com/tastings/domaine/domaine-du-comte-liger-belair

They are essentially the same wine, I believe. It is similar to Camuzet/Jayer or Chezeaux/Ponsot.

Thanks Kevin.

BTW, there are at least six auctions back to back in early December, just in the states. Most of these are two day auctions with alot of top end Burgundy. It would be interesting.

It should be noted that Bouchard does their own elevage and tended to use a higher toast I beleive. The other two examples were the same wine split and bottled seperately. Also I believe it’s pre 02 the wines were made by Forey.