How often do you eat seafood?

I can try sous vide. My preferences go to broiled, grilled, roasted or soups/stews, but it certainly would be worth it

About once a week at most. I have to go into Manhattan for decent seafood.

3-5 times a week. It’s a lot harder to get good fish now that I’ve moved to Philadelphia. Not impossible, just not as easy as NYC. Plus, a lot of our cooking at home is in quantity to last for a few days and most fish leftovers will not last like other dishes.

For those who load up on the fish thinking it’s automatically a healthier option, especially if you live in places without good sources nearby, I would suggest making sure you are educated about the minefield of buying fish. it isn’t just a risk of “trace toxins” showing up.

About 90% of the fish we eat is cooked outside on the egg. So no inside the house stink. Additionally, Salmon and Tuna grilled over wood are actually not bad the next day. You can mix with some cream cheese, capers etc. for a nice lunch on a bagel. Grill a piece of chicken at the same time for your wife.

I cook fish at home at least once a week and at some point on the weekend we’ll eat it out. Can’t wait until I can eat real food again. Oysters are crying out for me right now.

I have it two to three times a week. I have to travel a bit to get good quality fish, so tend to have it on the weekend. Some of my favorites (other than salmon) are the large, top of the food chain fish which are higher in mercury which also limits consumption.

-Al

I broiled some Hamachi collar last night and the first thing Arnold mentioned upon coming home was “Can we open the windows? It smells like fish.” Then after dinner he lit the scented candle I had bought post-Sandy because it was the only candle left in the store.

I cook salmon in a foil pouch on the grill at least once a week. Tasty, easy, very little mess/clean up needed. Any suggestions for fish cooked this way other than salmon? My wife and kids don’t like the very fishy fish so blue fish doesn’t work for us.

Mmmmm, Himachi collar. Arnold can stay with Jeannine if you invite me over

lol

Let’s see. Breakfast, I make gravlax once or so a month and that means Salmon for breakfast four or five days a week for two weeks. I am also a canned tuna fish junky so I have that once or twice a week for breakfast and lunch. We always grill something interesting in the seafood department for our tailgates, like last week when we had sea scallops wrapped in turkey bacon, or last year when I made red wine marinated baby octopus grilled over coals. For dinner maybe once a week, but my wife hates all seafood except for scallops, so it’s usually Salmon or occasionally Cod.

I recently started having canned tuna and I’m in love with it. Perhaps I missed out on it during my childhood, but the way it mixes with mayonnaise, a dash of mustard, and relish is just awesome. Otherwise, I stick with wild salmon.

And to answer Mark, I eat seafood about once a week, if that. I love it, don’t get me wrong, but I’d rather have a restaurant extensively prepare it for me.

I totally agree that restaurants are the safest bet. But, whenever I’m making seafood at home, I make a killer baked salmon that I marinade in equal parts soy sauce, honey, and lime juice. Sprinkle some thyme on top of that sucker and serve with pan fried asparagus and seared lemon halves. Super easy to make and cooks up in 30 min.

[flirtysmile.gif]

image.jpg

FYI if you like sardines, Nola Palomar sells some awesome canned sardines.

I like it! I’ll try this out sometime. I’ve never experimented with honey on salmon. Drinx style salmon.

I found the recipe online a month ago and decided to give it a go. It was just as good as any salmon I’ve ever had at a restaurant. The ingredients sound kind of disgusting, but baked up wonderfully. In a large sauce bowl, I’ll mix up approximately 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, one table spoon of honey, and the juice of one lime. Stir that vigorously and then dunk the salmon in the bowl. I then place the salmon atop some tin foil on a flat baking sheet. Before I start the oven, I like to sprinkle a generous amount of thyme over the fillet as well. As far as baking goes, I prefer to blast the oven to 500 degrees and let it cook for 25 minutes. The outside will get flaky but the center will remain melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

Is it easy to get good Salmon? Impossible here and the poor quality farmed stuff is a waste of time and certainly not ‘healthy’.

Wild salmon is an expensive treat in the UK.

Depends on the season but there’s pretty much always something available here

Pretty fresh salmon arrives daily from Norwegan and Scottish farms, but the quality is low, dyed pink, very fatty, little flavour.

Russell, just skimming a couple of sportfishing sites reveals some outstanding tasting local fish. Cobia as an example one of the best eating fish swimming, wahoo, a great eating fish. Dorado (dolphin fish, mahi mahi) Tuna’s lots of good options it appears. Although most are warm water fishes they are tasty. Very similar to what we get locally here in the GOM.