How does your partner/SO fit into your wine life?

The way I have managed to avoid getting killed:

1. All bills get paid in full and on time, meaning no credit card balances…ever!
  2. All retirement accounts get funded in full each and every month (people with kids add college costs here)
  3. There is always plenty of money for the things she wants
  4. There is always a 12 month emergency cushion
  5. There is always money for vacation
  6. There is a fund for home improvements/repairs/car needs

As long as all of those conditions are met we are in harmony.

Good luck!

My wife only gets mad when I cultivate Kevin Shin too much.

My wife has an excellent palate and enjoys good wine, but although she can tell the difference between a $100 bottle and a $20 bottle, she doesn’t think the difference is worth it. Also, we have completely joint finances, and she is the self-appointed Guardian of the Budget, so it has gotten sticky at times. We have since set up a separate wine account into which a certain sum is deposited monthly, and that account and that account only is to be used for all wine and wine-related purchases, from daily drinkers to premium bottles. Hopefully that will help keep things a bit less stressful, even as I learn to better prioritize my choices in lieu of the “buy everything” approach.

But even though I’m the wine geek and do all of the legwork, purchasing, and choose wine for all the big occasions, we both enjoy good wine, and I would never dream of opening one of our truly premium bottles without her. Our palates are very similar, when it comes right down to it, which is a pretty nice thing to have, especially since I didn’t even drink wine back when we first met.

Willing partner.

She enjoys blind tasting and trying to identify varietal, region, and vintage.

my husband Kenny is a good drinking partner. He has preferences when I am unsure of what to open and enjoys what we have in the cellar.

My husband is not really interested in wine. He enjoys the sweet stuff so I make sure to have dessert wines always and he enjoys some Rieslings, but very few reds. Thankfully we are not paying for children and are not strapped financially, so any brakes put on are mine.

Doc; You are a freakin’ riot! champagne.gif [stirthepothal.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

I didn’t know we had any billionaires in this forum.

Ex-wife was a big wine drinker, with a French father; really helped expand my wine drinking to berserker status.

Ex-fiance was a vodka drinker, but lived in Michigan wine country, and I kicked around a few Michigan wine focused business opportunities while we were together.

Current GF was a non-drinker, but i have driven her to drink, mostly vodka, and some sweet wines (big Dönnhoff fan!). She is a beneficiary of my cellar downsizing at the moment.

I am guessing you are the exception. Damn, that is pretty great! Kudos!

On our first date in 1975, my now wife was pretty impressed that I ordered a bottle of wine with dinner.

I have to say our wine tastes/appreciation are complementary. She favors white wines and I favor reds. So, at the dinner table 80% of the time two bottles are open. She will drink white wine 95% of the time regardless of the meal. If I open a red that I think might appeal to her, I suggest that she have a taste. Usually, she will say something like, “I agree, that is pretty good.” Maybe on 1/3 of those ocassions she will pour a glass for herself to have with a meal. If we are having fish or chicken for dinner, I can go either red or white wine. It depends on my mood.

I do 100% of the wine purchasing, and I guess I’m doing a good job of it, because I haven’t heard any complaints. She had a heads-up on BD a few days before from a Facebook friend.

She is not that crazy about attending wine events, and I am not crazy about doing things without her. So, we try to strike a happy medium, there. When we go to a wine country, we spend more time just driving around the countryside (Sonoma and Mendocino counties are best for that) than tasting. She loves riding in the car, and, frankly, my palate fatigues very quickly. So, that works out for us.

She’s a complete enabler. Especially if I am buying.

Damn right you deserve it! You work hard and if you want to go to 4 offlines in 5 nights and a trip to Mosel, then you damn well should be able to! Glad you told her to “tone it down” :wink:

My wife really likes wine but doesn’t care if shes drinking a Grand Cru burgundy or Cotes du Rhone, she just wants it to taste good. Because of that I think she has a tough time understanding why I care so much about what she considers minutiae and why we have to stockpile wine in the basement that we aren’t allowed to drink. We each get our allotment of spending money each month after the savings accounts are funded and bills are paid, she saves hers and I buy more wine. I rarely get grief about it though, she doesn’t ask and I don’t bring it up. I think deep down she knows that she gets to drink good wine, whether she likes it or not, and that I could be doing much worse things with my time and money.

owned. Keep separate accounts, one paycheck each month goes into a joint to pay for joint expenses. Also never show receipts rookie.

Took me a while to figure Glenn out as well [cheers.gif]

Robert Parker marries Alice Feiring. Hilarity ensues.

HRH isn’t interested in geeking out over the research but is an equal partner otherwise.
She will not tolerate crappy wine (although she does love shitty wine).

Similar story: my wife very much enjoys wine and may well have a better palate than me but doesn’t geek out over wine the way I do. She’s a bit more accurate in describing wine (“Honey, have you actually ever eaten schist?”). She puts up with winery visits when we’re on vacation but does not want to make the whole vacation about wine.

She introduced me to Loire reds, which I think says it all.

Cheers,
Doug

We share 100% of our income. I buy, she knows, we drink. It’s fantastic.