How do you make your old fashioned?

I’ve noticed a couple of people calling for a little water. I never drank old fashioned cocktails with my mom, dad, and grandmother, but I saw him make a zillion of them. He modulated the water and whisky quite a bit depending on who he was making it for. I think he had at least a bit of water in all of them.

Growing up in Wisconsin where an Old Fashioned is as much a part of the culture as beer, it was always made with brandy. If you ordered/made it with whisky or bourbon it meant you were from Illinois.

Here is a classic recipe.

In place of sugar I used a teaspoon of the toschi cherry syrup in one tonight, in addition to a shot of knob creek, a couple of kinds of bitters, a toschi cherry and a muddled slice of clementine.
Not a purist’s OF at all, but really good. These toschi cherries are awesome.

Went to some holiday bazaar, and someone was selling some homemade bourbon cherries. They took Bing cherries and soaked them in bourbon with some spices (cloves, cinnamon, etc.). Really good. Made an Old Fashioned last night using them.

2 oz Rye
1 cube sugar
Generous shot of Peychaud (cherry) bitters
A little water
Then I added a teaspoon of juice from the cherries and added 2 cherries

Was delicious. And their cherries gave it a holiday touch.

1 oz. Rye or Elijah Craig Bourbon (add another later)
Few dashes angustora bitters
(use orange bitters if no fruit around)
A drop or two of simple syrup
Mix it up, add 1-2 luxardo cherries, then add ice
Pour another ounce or so of Rye/Bourbon, then stir
Add a slim Orange and/or Lemon Peel twist, then drink!

Have been experimenting with recreating the La Tempesta from Passatempo Taverna. Rye (using Old Overholt), fresh ginger simple syrup, fernet branca, and carpano antica.

Jeff that looks more like a Manhattan vs an Old Fashioned which is the topic on this thread. an old fashioned has no sweet vermouth.

In an OF glass, 1/2 oz of turbinado simple syrup, 2-3 dashes of Angostura, 2-3 dashes of Hella Bitters Citrus bitters, 2.5-3 oz of Bourbon (lately EC or WT Rare Breed). Ice, stir and an orange peel.

Want to try the oil squeeze of the peel over the lit match trick soon.

Tonight in Shenzhen, Suntory whisky from a 200ml purchased in a convenience store in Taiwan, sugar from the hotel room coffee setup, nasty little hotel ice cubes, and Dashfire Vintage Orange bitters. Not bad, though. The cheap Suntory is reasonably good. The most annoying thing is not having a decent ice cube.