Hosting a wine night for friends

My thoughts:
the Prüm will fairly sweet … it would be a burden for the palate to taste the Evening Land right afterwards.
I would either put in a sparkler on 2nd place, or move the Prüm last for the dessert …
Also I would taste the (young) Bordeaux before the Rioja …

… AND: serve a lot of water !

Nathan, you get drunk on the equivalent of less than three beers?

Just about every non-wine friend, American, European or Asian, I’ve poured Kabinett or Spatlese has absolutely adored it. Some are surprised that such fruity, sweetish wines can be considered ‘serious’ wines.

Reschedule to the friday or saturday.

Would if we could.

I am now seriously considering moving the Prum to last. I’ve had the Bordeaux before and it is very modern and ripe which is why I was considering putting it last, though I was worried about the oak in the Rioja overpowering.

It won’t matter–if there is any hint of sweet, many (most) of them will take one sip and say “Ewww…it’s sweet. I don’t like sweet wine.” Now if you’ve got a GG or trocken, or an Austrian Riesling, you’re much more likely to get the opposite reaction: “Wow, I thought Riesling was sweet. I never had one like this before. I’ve never liked Riesling, but that’s because most of them are sweet.”

This is often the case. I think most civilians like good Riesling more than they expected (if you can even get them - particularly dudes - to try them), yet many are reluctant to go with it or uncomfortable with it, because they think you’re not supposed to like overtly sweet tasting wines.

Yet then you serve them sweet tasting wine that masquerades as dry wine like Caymus or Meiomi, and it’s the best thing evah.

Talk dry, drink sweet.

Don’t underestimate the extent to which off-dry Riesling is strange and unfathomable to experienced drinkers too.

Hm. I do have a 2015 Gobelsburg Riesling Kamptal I can use instead for something really dry.

Serve the Prum, it’s an awesome wine, and I don’t usually love young Riesling.

It ended up being a great night with both the Prum and the LRA actually being very divisive. Half thought the prum was very good, half thought it was too sweet, I just thought I needed to buy more.

The LRA was loved by most except a couple who were thrown off by the dill nose.

The Evening Land and Fonplegade were disliked by most of the group. Group through the Pinot seemed too “light” though it smelled great and the Bordeux had too much acid for most of the group.

All in all everyone had fun including me. Reminded me a lot of what I liked and disliked in wine when I first started drinking wine. We definitely plan on doing a few more of these in the future.

Cool!