Hospice du Rhone 2016, Paso Robles

I do agree about the pace. Since we are coming from so far, we got the whole event tickets. I would hope that we all are hoping for a wonderful outcome. I really like the event and the people who run it. I suspect that John Alban is no longer involved, and that creates a void. I have to say that the rest of the people who are involved are great folks! And, perhaps Larry it is time for the various semi-local wineries and wine makers to step up and fill the void in terms of engaging with these people and managing the event. Rhone style wines need a lot more market leadership generally. When I have gone to the Boston Wine Expo it has occurred to me that Drink Ribera and groups like that do a hell of a lot better promotion for their product!

My understanding is that some of the people who managed the event on an operational level are still involved (Vicki Carroll, Faith Wells). Not sure who is putting together the seminars, etc.

-Al

Rather than spend the next few months discussing the awkward logistics of a group our size, I can offer my house again as a Sunday dinner venue, assuming we don’t become a large group. We can figure out food and cost along the way. I got a “probably” on a Sunday cave tour. Anybody love Cornhole, or table tennis? Some of the local wineries take these sports seriously. Special winery tour/tastings? Tin City would be fun with lots of wineries. I may be able to interest some local winemakers into joining us for dinner, or in offering a Sunday activity. Firm commitments are tough this far out.

Definitely in for some Cornhole. Not as strong in table tennis. Although, come to think of it, not that strong in Cornhole either but it’s always good fun. I’m curious to see what Anthony is doing with Kinero as well… Haven’t checked those wines out yet.

I believe Alban will be there. He said so in an offering letter I received. At least I think he did.

More seminar announcements coming soon. Maybe as early as this coming week.

For those who are not aware, here is a link to the producers currently planning on pouring - and all of us will be pouring both Fri night and Saturday per the new structure this year:

And Bill, count me in for table tennis please :slight_smile:

Bill thanks for offering up a spot for Sunday. I’m sure it will be a blast again.

All ready said it but it for what ever auxiliary events are planned.

In the 'old days" the Friday night after hours non sanctioned BYO BBQ in the yard of the motel was always a highlight. Will be arriving mid day Thursday & look forward to seeing many of you. Please keep me posted. [cheers.gif]

I believe the hotel built something (workout room?) that removed nearly all of that yard.

-Al

Just got my ticket. Thursday leaving early Sunday. Would love to meet/see again everyone.

This is true, summer of 2014 they built into the old area. They do have this still listed as an amenity “•Barbeque area with two small charcoal grills and two picnic tables.”, but not sure how big.

Wish I could make HdR 2016 but my wife got on the calendar before me so no BYOM BBQ at the Black Oak on Friday night (at least planed by me…) first year there
Were 8 of us and toward the end of the run we had over 70 folks!

How does you spot Wine Berserkers at an event? White carnation in lapel?

How about Friday night dinner somewhere in town? Roberts did a great job on our last mini-berserker-thon…

Roberts is great. Recently opened under new ownership, I hear the old Chef is now also the owner. Haven’t been back yet. Used to have lowest corkage fee in town @ $10.

Bill indeed it was sold to the chef. As Danny said, last get together I made reservations at Roberts great time.

I am thinking of going to meet up with everyone but not necessarily seminars.

Are we meeting up at Hdr or outside of it?

All things are possible.
I’ve proposed Sunday activities & dinner.
Danny has proposed a Friday dinner.
I’m not sure the max size Roberts can handle on a weekend night.

[swoon.gif] What are we going to do without Mel to chronicle the festivities? It’s not like anybody can remember anything by Sunday morning.

Actually, with smartphones these days it is pretty easy to put together a montage of collective photos from this event and related Berserker Antics.
Bill… glad to see the makings of plans for another gathering at your home. I can’t imagine that we will be able to top the last one… but I am willing to give it
a try! Since I have three people attending, we have more suitcases to stash bottles in!

I have rented a house/apartment off of the town square for the week starting on Wednesday (flying into LAX for noonish). If anyone is around I would love to grab dinner somewhere on Wednesday evening… maybe even a viable brew pub… since it will otherwise be a wine weekend.

Seems like there are a lot of French wineries that have been added to the list. I also took note of the fact that Mollydooker is coming (Sparky and Sarah are a blast). And, a second seminar has been designated of Washington State winemakers. So, at this point a CNdP seminar, and a Washington State seminar. Sorry that Charles Smith isn’t listed in that seminar… now he is a fascinating person to talk wine with… far more intellectually acute than I originally would have guessed… sort of the Chester Osbourne of California. It would be really interesting to get someone from the Northern Rhone like Hermitage, a great Guigal Seminar would be fantastic. And, it would also be really interesting if we could get a seminar based upon Napa/Sonoma/Paso variations. Or a seminar on old vines and field blends featuring Morgan from Bedrock and Mike Officer of Carlisle. On some level it would be nice to get these thoughts out there and see if we could encourage some of these folks to step up. There are so many brilliant people out there!

So looking forward to seeing all of you!