high end cruise lines

Check to see how the operators handle waste. Many are known to dump at sea,
ruining the environment where they sail, like luxury garbage barges.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/01/carnivals-princess-unit-to-pay-record-40-million-for-dumping-oil-us-says.html

…The ports linked to the charges were in Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia, as well as the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, the department said…

Been on Crystal, Silversea and Regent. Of those 3, I like Crystal even though the ships are larger than Silversea which is also great. I would not recommend Regent as of my last trip. Fun but just not up to the level of the other two.

Never been on Seabourn. Those are small ships and can navigate some really cool places. Super luxe.

Azmara and other good ones I don’t know anything about.

We choose Crystal mainly for the quality of the food and the itinerary. I prefer land trips however.

we are pretty much sold a cruise on Ponant

problem is this will be the inaugural trip of a brand-new ship.
I therefore wonder if this will be at a higher risk for minor mechanical problems or lack of crew/ service experience.

do you think I’ll be okay or it is going to be a " shakedown cruise"?

From what I’ve read they can be a bit riskier. Both for what you’ve mentioned, the crew being new to the boat, but also a higher risk of cancellation if there are any delays in finishing the ship. Same is true for ships coming out of a dry dock.

We have enjoyed Viking River cruising and have a Grand Circle eastern Mediterranean trip planned. Any suggestions with respect to Grand Circle (the ship is the Athena) would be appreciated.

Amazed that nobody has checked if the ships have helicopter landing pads.