"Hi, I'm in the business. Comp my tasting?"

If I make an appointment for a private tasting, I let them know I am ITB. It seems dishonest, somehow, not to. Plus I am hoping it will allow them to gauge what the level of interest and questions might be. I have had the feeling that other wineries feel it is helpful.

I would never ask for a comp or discount. When it comes time to pay, I put my business card with my credit card, hand it to them, and let them handle it as they see fit.

Interesting thread, and I am not ITB and unless the Blog is about the particular wine, I cannot imagine why the person would even feel entitled to a bottle.

Years ago, I was in retail. Now, I’m a lawyer. When in retail, I once offered a worker of a contractor doing some improvements to our store a discount. He remarked that they were not offering me a discount and did not want or expect one in return. Similarly, as a lawyer I’ve had work done to my house by clients. When asked in advance for a discount on fees in exchange for a promise of a future work, I always find it easier to say I won’t ask them for a deal and accordingly, my fee is my fee.

Paul, maybe you can tell them that you write a blog about used clothing, and ask if you can have their shirt for a review.

Napa Neighbors? There are many comp’d tastings and a multitude of discounts available just for being a Napa local.

good idea. i’ll try that out next time.

remind me to tell you about the person cruising Sonoma, looking for comp tastings and offering discounts on air travel in return. it’s pretty funny.